Associates Gold Card

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by dlo64, May 24, 2001.

1. dlo64

dlo64 Well-Known Member

The other day my husband received a solicitation to apply for an Associates Visa Gold card. It seems like a sub-prime card since it has a variable interest rate and states as of 5/10/01 the interest rate was 24.9%. It is unsecured without any fees. It states that if unqualified for a Gold card, a Visa Classic card may be received instead. I can't imagine a prime Gold card with such a high interest rate. The credit limit for the Gold card would be between $2000 and $4000; the Classic credit limit would be between $300 and $2000.

My husband has an unsecured MC through another bank and would like to have a Visa. He would not carry a much of balance on the card so the interest rate would not be an issue for him. Since we have a prior BK and are trying to rebuild and avoid inquiries, should he take a chance a try to accept this card? I been told to stay away from certain cards, is this one of those cards to stay away from? Anyone else get this solicitation?

2. creditwork

creditwork Well-Known Member

I have an Associates card, current rate is 13% with an $11,300 line. They are good for teaser rate offers, I have had no problems with them.

www.creditsense.com

3. SisterGirl

SisterGirl Well-Known Member

I have the Associates Gold Mastercard w/$2,000 credit limit/18.9%/no annual fee; I think you should perhaps try for it because it is a a BETTER card now since the Citibank acquisition of Associates(they have became better to deal with).

Sister Girl

4. Saar

Saar Banned

I've been very pleased w/ the Associates.

They've lowered my APR from 18.9% to 10.4%. Customer Service is very good.

Saar

5. DaveLV

DaveLV Well-Known Member

I don't think I can ever get a Citibank card again (they charged off my Mastercard in 1996) so when I got a preapproval for a Shell card through Associates last month I took it even though I don't really need a gas card.

I'm hoping that after a while they'll offer me one of their visa/mastercards.

6. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

Dave,

If the charge off is from "96" you have a "great" chance and being off their blacklist. I know of 2 friends of mine that had chargeoffs from Citi back in "98" and they got the AA cards when they were so hot, no problem. I know of another poster here, can't remember their name but they also had a previous charge off from Citi and got new accounts as well. I honestly think there is a timeline in years you stay on the internal records, not exactly sure what maybe 10 years??

Have you ever applied for a Citi card??

7. DaveLV

DaveLV Well-Known Member

When everyone was getting their Citi cards here in March I applied and was denied. The reason codes for the denial though did not have anything to do with my charged off account. But I didn't know if they would come right out and say it or not.

Maybe this time next year when Lexington has been on the job for awhile I'll try again. Thanks for the encouragement.

8. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

Well I believe most that were still on their blacklist and were denied were told it was for that very reason. I think if that was the true reason they would have came right out and told you so.

Good luck with Lexington:)

9. DaveLV

DaveLV Well-Known Member

I sure would have no problem paying my bill if they ever gave me a Citibank card again. I now live about a half mile from the payment processing center I used to have to send my payments to.

10. dlo64

dlo64 Well-Known Member

Thanks all. I just don't want hubby to waste a hard inquiry. Funny though, I'm the one with the Amoco and Shell accounts.

Am I right though in assuming due to the high interest rate that this is a sub-prime card?

11. Saar

Saar Banned

Yes, but one of the best among those. It won't be a waste of inquiry. One thing to keep in mind though.

You need to call them at the beginning of each month, to see if they have a lower rate available for you. That's how I got the APR reduced from 18.9% to 10.9% at one time, and 10.9% to 10.4% at another.

Saar

12. dlo64

dlo64 Well-Known Member

Great advice. I'll try to talk him into trying.
    Thanks.

13. mglanham

mglanham Well-Known Member

Associates has treated me well, as a matter of fact after reading these messages I called to see if they would give me a credit line increase. Well............they put a request in for me but also told me I was eligible for another APR rate! I just got mine lowered from 23% to 19% 2 months ago, they lowered it again today to 14.1%! Not bad huh. Funny about Associates............I got denied by Aspire (at an APR of 35%)............but they approved me? Go figure? I think they are great.

14. $wealth$

$wealth$ Well-Known Member

Does Associates have a web site where I can apply for the Gold Card on line, or do they only take application via mail solicitations?

15. Saar

Saar Banned

16. geekpipe

geekpipe Well-Known Member

Anyone get approved directly online or did you get the 7 day wait deal?

Shoudl I call them and ask if it was approved or not?

Thanks
    Kevin