Associates Shell Card Pre-Aprv

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by DaveLV, Apr 9, 2001.

1. DaveLV

DaveLV Well-Known Member

I got a pre-approval offer in the mail today for the Associates Shell card that many of you were talking about a few weeks ago. I am tickled that I got a pre-approval for anything, and since this card is backed by a bank that issues other cards, I am thinking it wouldn't be a bad idea to establish a good relationship with them.

I do have a lot of other current credit though, 2 Providian cards, one cap one, two household bank and a nextcard. I don't think I want to open another credit line that will show on my reports. Reading back through the messages on the subject here I saw that people were saying this card does NOT report to any of the CRAs. If this is true, I don't see a downside to sending in to get this card.

Can someone verify for me that this card does not report?

2. JacquiG

JacquiG Well-Known Member

Re: Associates Shell Card Pre-

DaveLV,

I don't have a Shell card, but did have an Amoco card (same people). The account was reported when originally opened in May 1999. It has been closed for over a year, and right now, shows Open, 0 balance, last activity 6/1/1999 (only time it ever changed!). So yes, mine reported, but it didn't show monthly balances. Also, only shows on TransUnion.

3. myong

myong Active Member

DaveLv. I've had the shell card for about 5 months. It doesn't show up on any of my credit reports. I called to ask if they would report it to the cra's, they said that they don't report it unless it's the visa or mastercard.

4. DaveLV

DaveLV Well-Known Member

Thanks - that's what I wanted to know. It sounds like in your case it's a disadvantage for them not to report, but in my situation I think it's an advantage.

I will call them in the morning to accept the offer.

5. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member

DaveLV,
    The Associates never report their gas card including Shell,Terxaco,Citgo). I got Shell gas card pre-apprval offer from them and I used it once because Shell is cost more than Exxon over here in Texas. I stucked somewhere in my wallet.

Ron.