Associates Visa - success

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Saar, Mar 7, 2001.

1. Saar

Saar Banned

As much as I love Amex (and I do), a man can't live without a Visa, can he?

I've just called the Associates, who are far better than they used to be in the past (mainly because Citigroup bought them).

I hardly ever used the card, but still tried to get a lower APR. Current is 18.99%. I was transfered to the "Prime Card Unit".

The Prime Card Unit rep said he could lower it to 16.15%. I said that's still - by far - the highest APR I have. He put me on hold for 1 minute, comes back and says: "Ok, sir, I can also offer you our special 10.99% APR".

I naturally said yes :) Another sub-Prime in my wallet has just turned Prime.

As an Associates rep earlier told me, their APR policy is set on the beginning of each month. If you have their card, you might want to give them a call. A sharp 8% APR decrease sure feels good.

Saar

2. RichGuy

RichGuy Guest

Re: Associates Visa

That's a great success story. I keep hoping that I can turn my own $500 Associates Visa at 25% into a prime card. About $2500 at 9.9% would be nice. :)

I'm not sure if that will ever happen for me, since I accepted a way subprime offer to start. But if it does happen, it will take several phone calls spaced over at least a couple of years.

3. CR

CR Well-Known Member

Saar-question

Saar,

If you don't mind my asking? How long have you had this card, what limit did you start with and what is the limit now (approximately)?

Thanks,
    CR

4. Marie

Marie Well-Known Member

Re: Saar-question

is this Associates National Bank? sorry for the question... but I'm wondering if I got declined b/c it's now owned by Citi...

I included 2 citibank accounts on my bk. Any thoughts? would they blackball b/c of 2 citibank accounts?

5. Saar

Saar Banned

Had the card for ~6 months.

Limit increases are either automatic or upon request, but the latter requires a hard inquiry and employment questions, so I passed. On month 4, they automaticly upped the limit from $500 to $850. My spending volume on this card was a joke, not even 1% of what I spend on Amex.

Come to think of it, I don't believe they just "lowered my APR". I think they changed my card product altogether. That's probably why I was transfered to the "Prime card unit" and told that the new terms still include no annual fee, etc.

Saar

6. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member

Associates National Bank cards is typicially higher than any other cards. Their rates is something like 23-26% something like that. I had their Exxon MasterCard from them and it is the lowest that you can get out of them. It is 20.95%.

7. Saar

Saar Banned

Yes, Marie, this was the Associates National Bank.

Saar