AT&T Risk Management

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by lucy, Mar 22, 2001.

1. lucy

lucy Well-Known Member

Does anyone know what AT&T Risk Management is? I have no accounts with AT&T, the telephone company and there is an AR-AT&T Risk Management inquiry on my credit report. Thanks.

2. Y.M.

Y.M. Guest

I belive that's AT&T wireless service,I got the same inquiry on my Equifax file as a PR.I did get a pre-approved from AT&T wireless.

3. lucy

lucy Well-Known Member

But I do not have AT&T Wireless Services. I have Alltel (without a deposit) and AT&T wanted $400! Anyway, according the chart on the Equifax report an AR is an annual review by one of your creditors. Since AT&T is NOT one of my creditors I do not understand it.

4. Darrell

Darrell Guest

This is a "soft," Account Review (AR) inquiry from AT&T. It won't count against your credit score, and it's not a collection agency as the name seems to imply.

AT&T constantly pulls my Equifax file, even though I am no longer a customer. A few weeks after
    they pull my file, I get a check in the mail as a bribe to get me to switch over my LD service.

Some people say AT&T has no permissible purpose under the FCRA to pull the report, but I've
    never challenged it with Equifax. Maybe I will when I get the time. I haven't so far because
    their snooping has not affected my score.

I suppose there is a chance they're doing the ARs to avoid having to pay for credit headers or lists. This is just a theory.

5. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

JUST DISPUTE THE INQUIRY...with the credit reporting agencies...tell them you have NO business connection with AT&T.

6. DaveLV

DaveLV Well-Known Member

I don't know if this is really the cause or not, but I got one of those $50 checks in the mail today to switch long distance service to AT&T, and on the back of the check it says:

"You were selected for this offer because information in your consumer credit report indicates that you meet AT&T's requirements for this offer. You have the right to prohibit information contained in any file with a credit-reporting agency from being used in any credit or insurance transaction that you did not initiate. To exercise this right, you may write to the following credit bureaus" and then it gives a list of the big three and their addresses.

Interestingly it also says "or you may contact all three credit bureaus by calling 1 888 5OPTOUT." I didn't know about that shortcut.

7. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

DON'T USE OPT-OUT, unless you are willing to accept the fact that you will NEVER get ANY "pre-approved" applications or offers from any credit card provider...