Attn All who have inquiry probs

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by SM, May 14, 2001.

1. lbrown59

lbrown59 Well-Known Member

No inquiry has anything to do with credit worthiness and should be unlawful to report or record!

2. lbrown59

Re: Count me in too!!!

Some do and some don't.

Today i got a thing in the mail from Prue.Ins. wanting to sell me car Ins.On it ,i t shows they pulled my CR at T.U.
    I'm going to send the whole mailing to them with the following note.

SORRY I DONT BUY INSURANCE FROM INSURERS WHO REQUIRE PULLING A CREDIT REPORT AS A CONDITION OF ISSUING A POLICY!

IF we would all do things like this with the villens abusing us and our reports it would break a lot of this stinkin crap up.

3. lbrown59

Re: Re:They give me a headache everytime.

This poster puts me in mind of the CRA-He doesn't know the score either!

4. lbrown59

None should be listed any time for any reason!!!!!!

5. lbrown59

There should be just one permissible purpose and that is when you sign a seperate paper giving your written permission!

6. lbrown59

Re: Re:They give me a headache ever

I second you saar

7. Erica

Erica Well-Known Member

Re: Re:They give me a headache ever

Saar,
    This happened to me. I had a tradeline that wasn't mine appear on my Experian report. There was also an inquiry associated with the tradeline. The tradeline was deleted, but the inquiry was a "matter of record" and I must then take it to the company. This particular company I have never done any business with.

So, you are correct in stating that the tradeline is disputable, but the inquiry is not answer from the bureaus is a crock.

8. lbrown59

Good points.

9. 2ndIINone

2ndIINone Member

Martysgirl: Flame??? I'm stating my point of view and what has worked for me...getting anyone to agree with me on a message board is not going to help me remove the other 40% of inquires I started out with a few months ago...now what does work (as I've already stated) is contacting the creditors or CRA subscribers who pulled your reports and threatening law suites with them. I have attacked each and every one of them and so far I've had 100% success.

It's a shame how some people react when someone states something that doesnâ??t shine light on their particular issue or wants...

10. 2ndIINone

2ndIINone Member

Martysgirl: about your situation...It's as simple (yet time consuming) as filing a lawsuit against the CRA's reporting this info still. I have already made that clear that, that is a different type of situation.

11. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

Insurance and credit

I have my personal auto and homeowner's insurance with USAA casualty. They do not pull credit reports, but you have to have a military connection in order to be insured with them.

Off the top of my head, State Farm does not check credit.

I will have to do some research to find the other companies that do not check credit, but I will be glad to do it.

Now don't start complaining because they check your driving records and claims history, LOL.

Here is an outline of state laws regarding the use of credit reports in insurance underwriting:

http://www.insure.com/gen/creditreports.html

12. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

Re: Insurance and credit

WHY CAN'T I START???

CREDIT vs. DRIVING???

13. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

I hit the enter key instead of the shift :D

Since insurance is regulated by each state, you should let your state legislators know how you feel about this.

breeze

14. godaddyo

godaddyo Well-Known Member

First of all I called Geico insurance one day just for the heck of it to get a rate quote. When I called they asked for my personal information and I told them that I was calling for a quote that I was not getting a firm offer of insurance(which is permissable under the law and allows them to pull your credit report) I told him that I would give him my statistics and that should be enough. He told me that he wouldnt pull my credit report , but that he needed my social to run everything through the computer. Now, either the guy was bold face lying or he didnt understand the fact that the consumers credit file is pulled whenever there is a firm offer of insurance made. Well being the stupid person that I am, I trusted that he would not make the inquiry. Sure enough one week later I pull my reports and low and behold this inquiry is on their. Now if I would never have mentioned that I new what a firm offer was, he would never informed me of the fact that they would be pulling my credit report. Needless to say I called Geico and told them that under no circumstances do they have the right to pull my credit report without my permission. I wrote letter and worked my way into the president of geicos office. After speaking with his personal assistant, they mailed out an apology and a copy of the form that they faxed to delete the inquiry. They never had this type of problem before (they claimed) and they said that they had sent memos out to all employees concerning this matter. I was curious so I had a friend call them and they did change their policy and the customer service reps were well informed about this situation.

Also, I agree that inquiries should not be reported to anyone who wants to pull our reports. On the other hand it is definately a tool used in the credit industry to seek information about the consumer. For instance if a consumer is applying for credit all over town and they are getting turned down, merchants can be made aware of this by looking at the inquiry section. Although this may help merchants, it does not honestly imply the intentions of the consumer. Maybe they were just shopping rates..

15. SM

SM Active Member

2ndIINone:

I started this whole thing and if you will check my original post, I said nothing about filing suit against those that I have credit with or any collection agency that bought my account. Yes, I did sign a contract stating that the creditor or any of its assigns may look into my credit for credit review, etc.

I don't care if the companies I am complaining about technically saw my report. Does that make it okay to reduce my FICO score because someone illegally obtained my report? That's like saying it is okay for someone to utilize my SSN to obtain credit because technically I lost my wallet and technically they did have my SS card to get my number. Does that mean I can't press charges against someone for doing that?

The whole point of this discussion is to stop the bureaus and the creditors from listing permissable inquiries into a consumer's credit file when the consumer in no way, shape or form gave permission for them to do so.

I have no intention of getting someone on my bandwagon that is angry because their current creditor did an account review. That is not a legitimate complaint. Some may think there is a very fine line there, but it would be really hard to prove in court.

I want the bureaus to take responsibility for allowing creditors who DO NOT HAVE PERMISSION to make a permissible inquiry but do so anyway. Yes, you are correct in saying that we should contact the bureaus to disallow promotional inquiries. That is a different matter completely.

If there are enough people on this board to generate 74 posts on this subject, think about how many more are getting screwed! The CRA's need to be liable for allowing this to happen and the creditors who do it need to be stopped.

By the way, I have FOUR permissable inquiries into my credit report in the last 6 months that are not my creditors OR anyone I have granted permission to. I have purposely not filled out any application for credit just to see what is happening. I have TWO inquiries into my credit that are legit. Both are current creditors that are doing account reviews.

Do ya think that may have a factor in lowering my FICO? Gee, I don't know!

SM

16. SM

SM Active Member

Funny you should mention this, GEICO is one of the hard inquiries on my report in the last 6 months. They never do this? Ha!

I don't need insurance, I have not looked for insurance, I don't want any other insurance. Now why is there a hard inquiry on my report?

These are the questions I want answered through a class action suit. Someone should be held accountable.

17. judyputy

judyputy Well-Known Member

SM,

I agree totally! Someone from out of the blue should not be allowed to pull a credit report and cause a hard inquiry without permission to do so. Geico, for example. You are completely correct that these inquiry's are a big hit to your credit score. That's what makes this situation so absurd.

Someone like me who is potentially looking into a mortgage in the next 6 months is trying very hard to have no recent inquiries show up on my report. Why is it that companies from out of the blue are permitted to pull hard inquires just to see IF they might like to extend me credit, when I have not given permission to do so.

This is a serious problem that needs to be adressed. I am with you on this subject.

18. deniserich

deniserich Banned

Greg: http://pacer.ca6.uscourts.gov/cgi-bin/getopn.pl?OPINION=98a0182p.06

There is case law out there, however, often they are settled out of court or taken to small claims court where no case law can be created. This case is Handmaker and I am aware of at least two cases that settled out of court using this case law. Not only do they need to be held accountable in a civil court of law, the FCRA refers to someone obtaining your credit report under false pretenses as a criminal violation. To date, I have heard of no one attempting to hold them criminally accountable. Courts have ruled that a credit header is in fact a credit report as well. Unless you have an extension of credit with a creditor or have given them written permission to review your credit they do not have a permissible purpose and are therefor in violation of the FCRA.

19. deniserich

deniserich Banned

Re: Inquiries, shown and not shown

Greg: http://pacer.ca6.uscourts.gov/cgi-bin/getopn.pl?OPINION=98a0182p.06

There is case law out there, however, often they are settled out of court or taken to small claims court where no case law can be created. This case is Handmaker and I am aware of at least two cases that settled out of court using this case law. Not only do they need to be held accountable in a civil court of law, the FCRA refers to someone obtaining your credit report under false pretenses as a criminal violation. To date, I have heard of no one attempting to hold them criminally accountable. Courts have ruled that a credit header is in fact a credit report as well. Unless you have an extension of credit with a creditor or have given them written permission to review your credit they do not have a permissible purpose and are therefor in violation of the FCRA.

20. lbrown59

The're a poor indicator and shouldn't be reported or recorded!