Attn All who have inquiry probs

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by SM, May 14, 2001.

1. Erica

Erica Well-Known Member

Just wanna see a thread reach 100 posts. :)

If you are going to sue in a class action, count me in.

2. godaddyo

godaddyo Well-Known Member

100 proof is good but so is 101 proof. All the stronger. To tip the 100 post scale is beatiful. To post 101 is divine. Count me in to, I have all kinds of fun inquiry stuff to share, I wouldnt know where to start.

3. Linda

Linda Well-Known Member

Discover sold my account to Gulf State back in 1997 and yet Discover has 16 account review inquiries, listed on my Trans Union report, from 11/99 to 3/01.

Do they still have a permissible purpose when they no longer own the account?? Would appreciate a suggested course of action.

4. MikeB

MikeB Banned

Linda, an AR is a "soft" inquiry that is only viewable to you (supposedly). This does not hurt your score. You may be able to call them and "opt out" of future reviews if you don't like them.

5. Linda

Linda Well-Known Member

My understanding is you can opt out of promotional reviews. But that's not what I'm referring to. I'm talking about account reviews. Yes, I realize they're both soft inquires but what about my privacy? I mean, how can Discover justify "reviewing" an account that they no longer even own? For what legitimate business purpose?

6. Marie

Marie Well-Known Member

Actually I do agree w/you. I'd raise HELL with them. WHO is looking at your credit that often???

Regardless of FICO issues, there are privacy issues here. Can you say ID fraud???

They have no right to be in your report. Call and find out what's going on. Followup w/a letter. GET your info OUT of the system.

If they don't know why/how it's being pulled, then maybe someone is playing in your file. And that's honestly very dangerous.

IF you get no satisfaction. SUE them. I am really beginning to believe that this is the only way to make CRAS and creditors sit up and take notice of us.

HEy, just a thought. If you inform the CRAs that Discover has no purpose... can they block them??? Could the CRA then be liable for a potential negligent enablement / dissemination of your identity if you ever have an ID issue???

7. jshimmer

jshimmer Well-Known Member

Re: Insurance and credit

The SOB's at AAA of Michigan did the SAME thing to me. I ARGUED with the guy on the phone, and he all but guaranteed me that it would be a 'soft' inquiry. Low and behold, I got a copy of my Experian a couple weeks later and - BAMM - a nice hard inquiry from AAA for an auto/homeowers insurance QUOTE.

Jerks ...

8. G. Fisher

G. Fisher Banned

Re: Insurance and credit

GEORGE, the Fair Credit Reporting Act gives "permissible purposes." Was their inquiry any of those?