authorized users

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Need advic, Nov 29, 2000.

1. Need advic

Need advic Guest

I was curious this may sound rather silly but when you add an authorized user to your account do they do a credit check on them?? I recently wanted to add my spouse to my account and it asked for his ss#, is this just for reporting purposes???

thank you for your replies

2. sam

sam Well-Known Member

just for reporting when it comes to most major creditors.

checking account, different story.

3. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

GIVE IT TO THEM...OR DON'T GIVE IT TO THEM...THEY WILL GET IT FROM THE CREDIT REPORTING AGENCIES...OR YOU!!!

4. Cadillac408

Cadillac408 Well-Known Member

Well I beg to differ. When my boyfriend added me to his Am/Ex account, then did run a credit check! But I wasn't denied though which is funny seeing that I have a current judgment and collections on there. So if they are not going to deny anyone, then why even run a report? For what? I guess to verify that the card that you are ordering is indeed for a real peron and not your dog spot! :)

I'm noticing that Am/Ex runs credit checks for EVERYTHING (including Membership Banking)! I have a corporate card and at a travel meeting yesterday, it was brought up that if you request travelers checks after you receive your card, they will run another report! Last night I called Am/Ex to inquire about that program that they have on their charge cards where you can sign over a specific charge to the next billing statement. You have to have been a customer for at least 13 billing cycles and they run another report! Crazy...at least when I got my corporate card, they did a *soft* inquiry.

When I added my boyfriend to my Citibank account, they asked me for his SSN and I didn't have it. They sent a card anyway and he used that card to apply for Macy's and was approved. Then applied for Am/Ex Gold and was approved! I still believe that this was due to him being an authorized user on my account that I have had since '92! So, last night he pulled an Equifax report and Citibank was not on there! So how did he get the Am/Ex? Who knows.....maybe Citibank is reporting on another report and Am/Ex pulled that report? Whatever.....so just to make sure that they are reporting on his credit and not someone else's, I gave Citibank his SSN (his name is very common). I think they would of eventually figured out the right guy. I had my ex on my Citibank at one point (didn't give his SSN) and it made its way to his credit report as an authorized user...I never gave them his info but his name isn't common. That same ex added me to his mastercard account and I never used the card and cut it up, that account is reporting on my report as a charge-off! He never gave them my SSN but my name is not common at all. So, who knows...

5. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

Well my hubby is an AU on 2 of my accounts, I don't recall a inquiry for him but I could be wrong. they never requested his ss# either, but it shows on his report so they can/do find your information. I would assume the ss# is for reporting purposes. What bank is this with, maybe someone here has experience with this particular bank??

6. Need advic

Need advic Guest

We first off it's not a checking account, his credit isn't bad but he just didn't want another inquiry and the line would be plenty for both of us, so he didn't want to apply for his own. the bank is Citibank, does anyone have experience with authorized users with them and did they do a credit check??

Thanks again this board is great

7. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

Lady Carr may know???

I believe she was added to her husband's citibank account, so she could probably tell you.

8. Cadillac408

Cadillac408 Well-Known Member

Did anyone read my post?

Citibank does not pull credit reports on an authorized user. When you call to request a card, they will ask for that persons SSN. Give it to them. If you don't, they'll eventually get it anyway.

9. sam

sam Well-Known Member

amex never ceases to amaze me :)

I guess i stand corrected.

Thats wierd, cause i was like 17 with an authorized user card from amex from poppa :)

figured if they were gonna check credit, they would at least check age :)

10. sam

sam Well-Known Member

RE: Did anyone read my post?

it is possible and legal for anyone (credit grantor) to use ident to query by name and address to find the rest of the info (dob/ssn/job/addresses) without an inquiry on record.

Typically used to verify identification of name/address to ssn # when in question.

11. INFO

INFO Guest

To pull Someones Credit Report You do not need His ss# you could pull it by address and name . SS# is a Final Identifier and could also be used to pull a credit report. That's why father and son with a common name could have same info on the report.
    Name could be sufficiant but since there is alot of common names it's harder to locate with a name .

12. Sorin

Sorin Well-Known Member

Yep. If they pull a CR you have the right to dispute it, or so I think. Anyway, they don't need the SSN for an AU. My wife was an AU on 3 of my accounts even before she got her SSN.The funny thing is she got an offer from Providian for a $1000 gold Visa, before geting her SSN ... so they do report it to bureaus even if they don't have the SSN.

13. LadyC

LadyC Well-Known Member

RE: Lady Carr may know???

As for as Citibank is concerned, my ss# wasn't requested because I was added as an "AU" on the original application and it wasn't needed. Some banks do pull a report on the "AU". The ones I know for a fact are Bank of America, Hurley State Bank, Chase, and of course, Amex.