Auto Needed.

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Erica, May 21, 2001.

1. Erica

Erica Well-Known Member

Re: Ok, Here's an Update!

The other good thing about getting the car looked at today is that I can probably get it done for just the cost of parts! hehe. It pays to know people in the mechanic business!

As far as saving for the shiny new car, I will definately try. I can't make any promises, but I've never been a saver, and try is the best I can do.

Thanks for all of your support!

2. Erica

Erica Well-Known Member

Re: Ok, Here's an Update!

Ok, another update. I have had my car fixed for about a week, now, and of course, something else is wrong with it. This time it is the brakes. I need all new rear brakes. We're talking everything, wheel cylinders, drums, shoes, etc. I also need new brake lines.

This is starting to be a financial burden on me. I guess that once all of it is fixed, it should work fine for a while (((knock on wood))). So, I'll definately get my money's worth, but so far I've dumped over $1500 into a car I paid $2000 for.

I guess I'm just complaining that the Drama never ends with me. LOL

3. tom65432

tom65432 Well-Known Member

Re: my experience

I have found that at some point, it costs more to fix a car than it would cost to buy another. Each time you fix it, something else goes wrong. This type of car is ok for someone who can do their own repairs, but not for me.

A few years ago I was in this predicament. I ended up buying a one year old Mitsubishi, the smallest one they made at the time. It had air, automatic and a few other options and cost me $8500. It ran about $140 a month which is less than what I was paying in repairs on my Ford. Incidently, Ford is an abbreviation for Fix or repair daily.

Sometimes you are better off ditching the old car. Buy something Japenese if you want a car that will last.

4. tom65432

tom65432 Well-Known Member

I just went back and read your original post. I had forgotten that you had a Plymouth Reliant. That is probably the worst car Chrysler ever made. I had one and it died at about 60,000 miles, after only four years. Was not worth fixing. That was the car that convinced me to give up American cars forever.

Don't sell it to anyone else. Blow it up. If everyone blows up their Plymouth, the world will be a better place. It was cars like this that put Plymouth out of business.

5. Kay

Kay Member

I agree. If you own a Reliant, get rid of it. The car guys, who have a nationwide radio show and newspaper column on car repairs. did a poll last year of the worst cars of the last 100 years. In the top ten was the Plymouth Volare, the predecessor to the Reliant. And thats over the last 100 years.

American cars took six of the top ten spots, with Renault (2), VW, and Yugo holding down the other four. There were no Japanese cars on the list.

Go Japanese.

For those who say to buy American, consider this. My Reliant was made in Mexico. My Nissan, Toyota, and Honda were all made in the US.

6. Fat Jake

Fat Jake Well-Known Member

I second kays response. A $2000 Honda or Toyota might get you throught the next 10 years with proper maintenance.