<b>FYI: Board Changes</b>

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by <b>pbm</b>, Mar 8, 2001.

1. <b>pbm</b>

<b>pbm</b> Guest

<HTML>We are currently evaluating alternative board software and will be migrating to a different board in the very near future. While the new software will continue to allow everyone to read the messages, visitors will be required to register with a unique username and valid email address prior to posting. We may also choose to block free email accounts such as Hotmail, Yahoo and others.

We believe this measure will help discourage certain individuals from disrupting the board, who apparently have made it their mission to interfere with this board's purpose.

We are implementing changes in accordance to user feedback as quickly as possible. Please bear with us.

Sincerely,
    pbm

Creditnet.com</HTML>

2. Donna

Donna Well-Known Member

Re: FYI: Board Changes

Thanks, PBM. Your efforts in making tnecessary board changes are greatly appreciated. We have a terrific group of folks here and I would hate to lose the opportunity for further discussion.

Donna

3. greyfox

greyfox Well-Known Member

I have to register for all the other boards I post on...I sure don't have a problem with registering here...One thing, tho, in the registration process, if you aren't going to allow free email accounts, please make sure that is really obvious at the beginning of registration, please.

I have had to go back and re-register with another user name after going all the way thru the process and then at the very end,having a message pop up that free email accounts aren't allowed, and then when I tried to change, I was told the user name was already being used.

Does that make sense? ;)

4. Jack

Jack Guest

Let me guess... this one will also use the same software seen in many other boards. Take a look at the samples... www.ezboard.com

The software used there is seen in many places so you will actually be familiar with the interface.

5. Zostric

Zostric Guest

I use another person's computer and ONLY have a hotmail e-mail account.Will I no longer be able to post?

6. Alwilda

Alwilda Guest

Hotmail has been my primary address for the last three years or so. I change ISPs like I change underwear (ever Saturday whether I need to or not). I hope a way can be found around banning the "free" ISPs.

-Alwilda Smith

7. Dustin

Dustin Well-Known Member

You should have a case by case basis for people with Hotmail accts, and other free email accounts. I know most (UBB, Ikonboard,etc) have an Admin interface where you can add/remove/ban users.
    Also, make the registration process short and sweet, i.e. not too many questions, just the basics: Name, State, User name, Email...
    I think that changing to new software and making users register will make it a better forum (ban the idiots), but I think that some people won't post (new to the forum), because of the registration.
    : )
    Dustin

8. Nave

Nave Well-Known Member

PBM: Re:Board Changes

PBM,
    I completely agree with the points raised. I am a fan of freedom of speech but feel that many abuse this right to harass and disrupt what otherwise is a peaceful, orderly, and very helpful site.

A couple of points:

1) Many people with credit problems may have an increased desire to remain completely anonymous(to be fair, many just for anti-spam/anti-email-harrassing/junk-email/etc reasons).

2) there are a bazillion "unknown" freemail sites, will you only be blocking MSN, yahoo, usa.net and Hotmail...how will you cover all your bases for instance the freemail accounts of softhome.net?

Another solution could be that accounts are ONLY validated by emailing usernames/passwords to what MUST be a "valid" email address whether free or not. It may be a better answer to the problem. You may be forced to block accounts over and over, but it would force the offending individual to re-register with both a new freemail account and a new creditnet account over and over causing extra hassles.

I will register with a valid address whatever the outcome because I like this board and feel it is very worthwhile. I only question the success of your attack on the problem and how it will effect things in the real world(wideweb).

-Dave

9. J. Edgar

J. Edgar Well-Known Member

Re: PBM: Re:Board Changes

Blocking registrations based solely on someone's e-mail address makes no sense at all. The are so many sites out there that are offering free e-mail account that one could never keep track of them all. Most sites can set up forwarding accounts on their server with newer, sophisticated mail management software. There is little overhead associated with this, particularly is attachment sizes are limited.

I would suggest that you not block registrations based solely on someone's e-mail address. Many of us use Yahoo, Hotmail, Lycos, or whomever because we find it convenient.

Thanks.

J

10. lbrown59

lbrown59 Well-Known Member

Re: PBM: Re:Board Changes

. We may also choose to block free email accounts such as Hotmail, Yahoo and others.

We believe this measure will help discourage certain individuals from disrupting the board, who apparently have made it their mission to interfere with this board's purpose.

We are implementing changes in accordance to user feedback as quickly as possible. Please bear with us.

Sincerely,
    pbm

Creditnet.com
    ========================
    Reply To Message Does others include Juno or Netzero?