B of A account manager go here.....

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by breeze, Jun 3, 2001.

1. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

go to

bank of america main site
    online banking - learn more
    personal options
    online banking
    "who it's for..." - " if you have a B of A personal credit card"

After you register you card, to sign in, you have to go through all these pages. you cannot sign in from the main login page for B of A. Then bookmark the sign in page.

Go there yourself - they check to see what state you're in first. My link would be for Virginia.

breeze <the genius>

2. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

oh, I forgot! the login ID should be numerical 10-16 digits. Took me about an hour to figure that out, LOL.

breeze

3. cosjef

cosjef Well-Known Member

Yeah, nice of them to tell you about the "all numeric" mandate upfront, huh? I had the same experience. Its painfully obvious they are just learning...

4. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

yeah, really!!

And they hid the da** thing - most people don't even know this exists.

breeze

5. mj

mj Well-Known Member

Nice Job, Breeze---

I've been waiting for on-line access - mainly 'cause I'm nosy.

Here's a quick-link to the sign-in page (which also has an ENROLL NOW link. NOTE-- this is for non-BofA banking customers (folks who only have a credit card, no checking or other accounts).

http://www.bankofamerica.com/cardaccess/sign-in

-mj

6. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

THANKS....

It was so sad I couldn't access my BANK OF AMERICA on line...TILL TODAY.

7. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

My pleasure :D However, if this link does not work for everyone, keep in mind the first thing their site does is find out what state you're in. I don't know if it affects which link you can use or not.

breeze

8. judyputy

judyputy Well-Known Member

Thanks Breeze!!

I just input 2 of my 3 cards. Nice to see my accounts!

Let me ask a stupid question. When you pay over the computer, how do they get the checking account info? I mean, I know you put it in, but what info do they need? Anyone ever had problems? I have never done that type of payment.

9. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

I ASSUME IT WILL ASK FOR ALL THE NUMBERS AT THE BOTTOM OF THE CHECK...
    ROUTING #
    CHECKING ACCOUNT #
    NAME
    ADDRESS
    CREDIT CARD #
    AMOUNT TO PAY.

10. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

They get your bank name, usually just city and state, although I have had some ask for full street address. Then they get the routing/transit number and your account number. Most sites do an ACH transfer and store your info, but Bof A is using an E-check, so you have to give them a check number, and I think you have to enter your bank info every time.

Don't worry, it's easy - I went through the whole thing except for the final okaying the payment.

breeze

11. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

FREE INFORMATION...MOST BAR CODES (UPC) ARE 10 NUMBERS

3600027790 (175 KLEENEX)

I HOPE I DON'T HAVE TO TYPE ALL THOSE NUMBERS EVERY TIME I SIGN IN...

12. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

windows can remember it for you, if no one else uses your computer.

I use Gator too. Gator remembers everything. Annoying, but useful. ;) Kinda like bein' married. hehe.

numbers makes for better security, theoretically.

13. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

----------------------------------------------------------
    numbers makes for better security, theoretically.
    ------------------------------------------------------

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ

I CAN'T SEE IT (10 vs 26)

14. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

Well, theoretically, a user name is easier to guess than a user number. So they say...

breeze

15. cosjef

cosjef Well-Known Member

That's because most people choose names found in a dictionary, which are inherently crackable. Numbers are somewhat more challenging, but tougher to remember. Much like its easier to remember www.creditnet.com versus 209.67.99.20 which is the IP address of the server.

The real problem is: how many of you used your social security number as your login, because its the only long number you could remember? I would bet alot. In that way BOA is defeating the very reason why it opted to go with a numeric username in the first place.

As I said, its painfully obvious they are just learning how to operate a website.

16. jonesing

jonesing Well-Known Member

I have Advantage Checking & Savings from BofA (Client since 1989, ye gods!) and I can access all my accounts (from the same state) on the one screen. Now that I have the BofA gold Visa, when I logged in about a week ago, they automatically linked the Visa to my other accounts.

If you only have a cc with them then you'll need to put in your checking acct info for them to make payments online. If you have a checking account with them then you can "transfer" (make a payment) money from any of your deposit accounts over to your cc. The payment is posted the same day.

About the numerical Online Banking ID. The reason it's numerical (so I'm told by a cs rep) is because now that BofA & NationsBank have merged and combined banking records on all their respective customers (except California--they convert last), they wanted a new way of IDing people (remember, you may now have people with accounts from both banks spread over 3 states). Also, it's easier for people to remember a number they create themselves. Initially, your Online ID was your SSN but with the concerns over privacy, letting you create your own number made people feel easier. (Nobody would figure out the 12-digit code I use because I don't use that number as any other access code.) Another thing about the numerical ID, you use the same ID number to access your checking/savings accounts over the phone. You use a PIN instead of a password for access. So now, when you call on the phone, you can access all of your deposit accounts with one single number--your SSN or something else if you like. And when you choose to speak to a human, the rep will have all of your accounts under that one ID number (from the same state) on his/her screen. It's the online version of California branches with the ATM card reader in the branch--go up to the teller, swipe your card and enter your pin and all of the accounts linked to that card appear on the teller's screen... this is the same concept.