B of A & Chexsystems

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Nightowl, Jun 18, 2001.

1. Nightowl

Nightowl Active Member

I recall havind read some time ago that Bank of America will open a checking account for someone with a Chexsystems report as long as the item is three years old and paid. Can anyone verify whether this is still true? Also, does anyone know if, in order to get a checking account under these circumstances, the person also has to have good credit? Does the bank usually just run a Chexsystems inquiry to open a chekcing account, or do they also run a credit report (or any other kind of report)?

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks!

2. Nightowl

Nightowl Active Member

I meant to say, "I recall having read...". Sorry; I should have run a spell-check. :)

3. IamBuzzed

IamBuzzed Well-Known Member

Yes, its true. As long as the NSF is paid off. I applied to joined and they told me they wont be able to join until my three years are up which is in August.

4. DaveLV

DaveLV Well-Known Member

Iambuzzed, I was able to dispute my entry with Chex and it was removed! If you'll search the board for my name and Chexsystems you'll see the letter I used.

5. amaineman

amaineman Well-Known Member

I had a three year old $52 item that took three days to figure out. Insurance draft bounced twice on a semi-closed account. I never seen the notice.

The originial bank figured out the problem. I paid the money due and they had they removed it.

Prior to fixing the problem I was turned down on three attempts to open a savings account.

6. jonesing

jonesing Well-Known Member

http://www.msnbc.com/news/468685.asp
    from
    http://members.tripod.com/~CHEXSYSTEMSBITES/index.html

I remember being at a BofA branch a while back and decided to order soem checks, they had this big "D" symbol on the screen and I asked about it. It turns out it was their interface into Deluxe's system--Deluxe Check printing AND Chexsystems! I didn't know then but Chex is owned by Deluxe! Well I didn't think much of it until I came to this board and saw this item from the Chex Bites site above:

"Every time you order blank checks from Deluxe or one of their subsidiaries, information about you is sent to ChexSystems and also to Deluxe's collections agency and direct marketing partners. This information includes private, personal information such as your bank account number, current address, and more. This occurs only when you order checks from Deluxe, Current Checks, Checks Unlimited, or Designer checks. They transmit this information to their sister companies ChexSystems, Debit Bureau, EFunds and SCAN. We've located a copy of the agreement between Checks Unlimited (aka Current) and eFunds to share your blank check order and bank account information."

7. godaddyo

godaddyo Well-Known Member

Here is DaveLVs letter: I used one very similiar almost two years ago. It worked....

March 28, 2001

chexsystems
    Customer Relations
    12005 Ford Road Suite 600
    Dallas, TX 75234

To Whom It May Concern:

My bank has informed me that there is negative information reported by Glendale Federal Bank included in the file chexsystems maintains under my Social Security number. Upon ordering a copy of the report, I see an entry from this bank listing a "debit card revoked" in March 1997.

I do not recall having a debit card from this bank in 1997.

Please validate this information with Glendale Federal Bank and provide me with copies of any documentation associated with this "debit card" bearing my signature. In the absence of any such documentation bearing my signature I ask that this information be immediately deleted from the file you maintain under my Social Security number.

My contact information is as follows: Name, SSN: xxx-xx-xxxx, Address.

Sincerely,

DaveLV

8. lbrown59

lbrown59 Well-Known Member

Why refuse a savings account ?
    how do you bounce checks on a savings account?

9. fingrrrl

fingrrrl Well-Known Member

I used to work in a bank and I asked my supervisor about savings accounts one time and why sh couldn't open a referral customer of mine a savings account since they were on Chexsystems. The answer she gave made some sense and is true from what I've seen. Alot of accounts, even and especially savings accounts had direct debit from them to pay health insurance or car insurance or mortgages. You can easily bounce your account by not having enough money to cover these automatic debits. Well, you get the picture. So anyone on Chexsystems is barred from any checking or savings account. I don't know if this carries over to Cds or Money Market accounts though.

10. lbrown59

lbrown59 Well-Known Member

Makes sense -but why not open an account and restrict these type of withdrawls?

Another way to look at things:If my money's not good enough for checking or savings it's not good enough for credit card & loan payments!
    =======---------========------------========

11. heyryan

heyryan Member

I opened a checking account online....they ran a TU credit report instead of ChexSystems. I have a incident on Chex from 1998 that I DID pay, but the credit union refuses to mark as paid. Hope this helps....

12. eviljeeba

eviljeeba Well-Known Member

If you're concerned about being on chexsystems, why don't you just call your local Washington Mutual or whatever bank and have them run your name real quick over the phone?

13. Nightowl

Nightowl Active Member

I already know I am on Chexsystems, so I don't need to call a bank and have them run the report. I have another question now, though...

While I was waiting for replies after posting this question the other day, I went through my file cabinet and pulled out the report I received from Chexsystems a few months ago. As I look it over I see that Norwest, the bank that reported me back in 1998, does not have an indication of this being a paid item or not. It actually is paid, but the report only says "Reported For: Non-Sufficient Funds (NSF) Activity". It lists no amount or reference to it's being paid or unpaid.

With the report looking like it does, will B of A view this automatically as being paid, since no collection amount is shown? Or will I end up having to go back to Norwest and get some kind of records? Does anyone know?

Also, under "Retail Information" (SCAN), it lists an outstanding check for $30.00. I didn't notice this the last time I glanced over this report. I don't have any idea what it is about, but I am going to investigate. For now, though, before I go and apply, does anyone know if this information will keep me from opening a B of A checking account? Do they care about this part of the report, or only that the old Norwest account is old enough and paid?

Anyone?

14. Ender

Ender Well-Known Member

just dispute everything on your chex as NOT ACCURATE, NOT MINE and see what happens.. worked for me and my chex is now CLEAN.

15. Nightowl

Nightowl Active Member

I really didn't want to wait around for any kind of dispute proces to work itself out, to tell you the truth. I'd like to go down to B of A and apply ASAP. You see, I have a Bank One account right now and I have had it for about 4 years, but they just keep p*ssing me off all the time and I just HATE the idea that I can't leave and go somewhere else due to this Chex thing. Since I'd heard that B of A would open an account once your Chex item was three years old, and mine is, I would like to switch now. Just don't want to go through a bunch of embarassment, so I thought I'd check all facts ahead of time with the folks here.

By the way, you have all been very helpful and I appreciate it. Still would like any answers to my most recent questions, though, if anyone has any.

Thanks in advance!

16. IamBuzzed

If your on chex system for more than 3 years, then BoA will accpet you as long as they show it as being paid. I ask the rep at BoA and that is exactly what she said.

17. Ender

Ender Well-Known Member

...thing is, it is shown as NOT PAID on his report. In order to update this, he has to contact the original bank place.. and have them update it. My point is that instead of going through that hassle, just have the whole thing deleted.

18. IamBuzzed

I dont know about that...I did pay mines tho long time ago. I never tried deleting it but I might have too since I would like other accounts besides BoA and then I would have to wait 2 more years. But the rep look at my account and said that if i wait til Aug, i can open one. In fact, in my orginal account was BoA, she said that if I go back to the orignal branch that reported me, they manager can ooverride chex system...haven't tried it. so you can try that

19. Nightowl

Nightowl Active Member

No, it does not say "NOT PAID". The report does not in any way address any amount owed. It doesn't say "paid" or "not paid". It just says "NSF activity" period. There are no dollar amounts listed nor are there any references to anything being paid or unpaid.

So, will this automatically be viewed as being a paid, three-year-old item, therefore meeting B of A's requirements? Anybody know?

20. Ender

Ender Well-Known Member

Why don't you call the bank and ask? You really shouldn't worry about feeling embarrassed. It's all on YOU. Talk t othe representative and tel lhim there were some complications that were outside of your control. I think it's really up to the bank anyway to make that call.

Credit unions tend to also be more forgiving..