bad checks

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by worried, Apr 9, 2001.

1. worried

worried Guest

How legal is it to past a bad check up on the wall? I have coworker that told me that a local restaurant here where I live has her check up on the wall (since college), but she is too embarrassed to go get it. I tol her I would do it for her.... it is only three dollars! IS that legal?

2. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

AS FAR AS I KNOW, NOTHING ILLEGAL ABOUT IT...many businesses have stopped taking checks all-together...

CREDIT CARDS OR CASH ONLY.
    MANY BUSINESSES ONLY TAKE CREDIT CARDS!!!

3. sam

sam Well-Known Member

its legal to post a bad check up on the wall.

It's also legal to file bad check misdermeanor charges and get a warrant against the bad check writer and have them arrested even for $3.

It would be out of pure spite for $3.

Perhaps a letter, with a money order covering the bad check and the returned check fee ($25) would be in order.

4. Toothman

Toothman Well-Known Member

It is Illegal

Actually, while displaying dishonored checks in public view is not a crime, it is a tort (civil violation) and the merchant may be successfully sued for invasion of privacy.

5. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

Re: It is Illegal

SO THE BUSINESS IS OUT THE MONEY FOR THE CHECK AND THE BOUNCED DEPOSIT FEES AND MAY BE SUED ALSO FOR INVASION OF PRIVACY...THATS LOGICAL!!!

6. Toothman

Toothman Well-Known Member

I understand your point, George, however the tort of invasion of privacy consists of three seperate torts. The one that applies here is "public disclosure of private facts". Would you not agree that the merchant has better remedies against the wrongdoer than posting the check?

7. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

I used to work at Little caesars many moons ago, anyway we would tape bad checks to the wall, BUT they were only seen by our employees, so you would know who was bouncing checks, it was a little reminder to keep on the lookout for the bad check writers.

Mom