Bad FICO news

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by slppryslp, Sep 28, 2003.

1. slppryslp

slppryslp Well-Known Member

I had an account with cox cable three years ago and I closed the service and returned the cable box, everything paid. My roommates had accidentally switched boxes with me and so cox sent me to collections for the remainder. Way back then I disputed with the collection agency and it never appeared on my credit report. It was recently "assigned" to another collection agency and my score dropped about 100 points. I was amazed because it was a 3 year old collection.....

Well according to credit watch FICO score and the explanations that come with them :

You have a collection on your credit file that was assigned 7 months ago. 14% of U.S. consumers have evidence of a collection on their credit file and the average time since it was assigned is a little over 2 years ago.

SO, IT LOOKS LIKE THE FICO SCORE CONSIDERS THE DATE ASSIGNED, NOT THE DATE OF DELINQUENCY

Gee, so even a 7 year old collection account that was reassigned can drop your score like it was a newborn baby. And it doesn't seem illegal because its not reaging, its just reassigning.

Thank god its so easy to take them to court on the other violations they commit!

2. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

**AND THERE WAS NO WAY TO RE-ASSIGN THE BOX NUMBERS???

When I turned in my cable box...I got a receipt saying BOX # XXXXXXXXXXX was returned on XX/XX/XX at XX:XX PM SIGNED MARY SMITH

3. lbrown59

lbrown59 Well-Known Member

The more I see and read on the board the more it proves that FICO and Credit Reporting is the racket I have always said it is

I had an account with cox cable three years ago and I closed the service and returned the cable box, everything paid. My roommates had accidentally switched boxes with me and so cox sent me to collections for the remainder. Way back then I disputed with the collection agency and it never appeared on my credit report. It was recently "assigned" to another collection agency and my score dropped about 100 points. I was amazed because it was a 3 year old collection.....

Well according to credit watch FICO score and the explanations that come with them :

You have a collection on your credit file that was assigned 7 months ago. 14% of U.S. consumers have evidence of a collection on their credit file and the average time since it was assigned is a little over 2 years ago.

SO, IT LOOKS LIKE THE FICO SCORE CONSIDERS THE DATE ASSIGNED, NOT THE DATE OF DELINQUENCY

Gee, so even a 7 year old collection account that was reassigned can drop your score like it was a newborn baby. And it doesn't seem illegal because its not reaging, its just reassigning.

Thank god its so easy to take them to court on the other violations they commit!
    [/QUOTE]

4. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

Re: Re: Bad FICO news

...AND WHY DID THEY NOT REMEMBER THAT YOU DID RETURN "A" BOX???

Or why did they not have any records that the returned box was the WRONG BOX...BUT YOU DID RETURN A BOX???

5. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

WHAT DID THEY DO WITH THE WRONG BOX???

TRASH IT???

6. chipper

chipper Well-Known Member

I've got the same damn gripe with Cox. This time I had the cable turned off, but my roommates continued using it, as it stayed on. $1500 later, they shut it off, and I had no confirmation number.

TWO YEARS later, this April, it gets assigned to collections.

Can they just report this stuff whenever they want?

7. lbrown59

lbrown59 Well-Known Member

Re: Re: Re: Bad FICO news

Yep until you take action against them

8. motiv8ed

motiv8ed Active Member

So how would it affect your score if you get a collection account that was assigned within the last 2 years deleted. I wonder how much would that add to the score.

9. slppryslp

slppryslp Well-Known Member

The funny thing was when I returned it that they were able to look up the person's account to whom it belong and the counter person said yep they've still have their premium cable(which you need acable box to view) and have never reported anything as lost. And I wasn't smart enough at the time to request a receipt. So now there are probably 2 people with $150 collection accounts for two cable boxes that both were returned!

And motiv if the collection account is the only major derogatory on your credit history, removing it can usually add 40-100 points. My brothers FICO dropped 80 points from a $13 collection account!