Balance transfers

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Ally, Jan 4, 2001.

1. Ally

Ally Guest

I started building my credit about 18 months ago, I have perfect history with cards such as Providian and Citi. I see often people mention the balance tranfer rates they do, I never seem to get any offers for them. Only one was Citibank at 6.9%, although at one time my balances were quite high, they are now slowly going down and I am hoping someone will offer my a decnt tranfer rate. Did you apply for most cards that offered these or were you sent an offer in the mail. I really don't want too many inquires??

2. Doug

Doug Well-Known Member

Remember inquires are spread out over Experian, Trans Union, and Equifax. You now have 18 months of two cards. I don't know how the rest of your file looks, but your best bet would apply for a brand new card and do a balance transfer that way. My success with the P.C. has been much better than waiting on offers to come in. You will be surprised how 18 months of pay history will help. Of course if you have some negative information in file, then it would proably be a good idea to wait. I would not hold your breath waiting on Providian to give you any special promos. Almost ever issuer has a 4-9 month deal on opening up a new account.