Bank of America instant approval

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by poobybear, Jul 4, 2001.

1. poobybear

poobybear Well-Known Member

I have been lurking here for quite some time now, and thanks to all the wonderful posts here I have managed to build my credit up quite nicely.

My question is, I received a pre-approval for the Bank of America platinum card in the mail. Now I know that I will not receive the platinum, but maybe the gold or classic. I went to the website indicated and filled out the form, and it came back saying that I was approved for a gold account w/ 2500 credit limit and that my card would be mailed to me in five days. Can they go back on this offer? Can they end up sending me a classic card w/ 200 credit limit? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

2. Jugnoo

Jugnoo Well-Known Member

I thought bofa's gold was "real" with a min credit line of 5K. They would have sent you an email as well. See if it's a gold or standard.

In relation to whether they can nullify the approval. They wouldn't. Although bofa is not a customer focused organization like Citi or MBNA, an approval from them is a real approval.

3. poobybear

Thank you for your response.

I was under the same impression that their gold card was for real, I was actually counting on just the classic. I have read the confirmation and that is indeed what it says: gold with 2500 limit. I will update this post when I receive the actual card in the mail.

4. Mist

Mist Well-Known Member

Do you happen to know what your score is at present and does anyone know which CB they pull from?

5. poobybear

I don't know my score right now, but it was like 630 when I bought a car last October. I have not had any inquiries since then, so it might be better now.

6. Nave

Nave Well-Known Member

I just got an FNANB card via pre-approval. The offer "terms" said a credit check would NOT be done if I replied before the offer expired (about a month). In fact during the sign up, I didn't have to enter my social, just the last 4 digits for verification, so they already had all the info they needed.

I checked my very recent "hard copy" reports and I see an PRM request from FNANB but I see NO HARD INQUIRYS from them or any other bank since my Everbank inquiry.

Maybe since inquiries are so damaging and so hard to remove, pre-approvals are the way 2 go if you get em with no credit check!

Read the terms that you get with the BOFA offer. Does it say anything about a credit check? or the approval process?

-Dave

7. poobybear

The only reference to a credit check in the terms is this statement:
    "Information contained in your credit report was used in connection with this offer." Maybe they did run a credit check.

FYI: I have my checking account with Bank of America - that might have some significance.

8. molly

molly Well-Known Member

I got BofA Gold approval in April (instant, nothing in the mail). My limit was $3800. I don't know what the minimum is but I applied online for classis but got gold.

9. poobybear

FYI:

Got the card in the mail today. 2500 limit - gold - 9.9% fixed rate unless I default, etc.

10. Cadillac408

Cadillac408 Well-Known Member

Congrats! I know having a checking account with them help a lot! I banked with them for 10 years and applied for a card 2 times and was denied! This was even when I had excellect credit. BofA is very particular on who they issue their cards to. If you have good credit and a checking account established with them, you are almost guarenteed a card. Not having a checking account lowers your chances significantly.

The lowest credit limits I think BofA issues is $500 to their students. For regular classic I think it's like $1k. I could be wrong.