Bank of Marin

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by sam, Nov 27, 2000.

1. sam

sam Well-Known Member

I received an offer from this Bank. I haven't consider applying for this Visa card. What I did like about it is its a partially-secured card I don't have to send a dime, they will charge it to my card. Have anybody else received this offer. Do you know anything positive or negative to say about this bank. Thank you.

2. LKH

LKH Well-Known Member

I recieved the offer over 1 year ago. I held for a few months and decided to go for it. I've had it for almost a year with no problems. I recieved an automatic increase at 6 months and have been told by customer service that at 1 year, since I have no lates etc., that my card will become completely unsecured and they will be sending me an offer for an unsecured mastercard in January. The only negative that I see is the inability to pay online.

3. S.D.

S.D. Guest

I just received this offer from First National Bank of Marin a few days ago. I was debating on if I should get this partially secured card, but thought I would ask everyone on this board first. I also want to konw if anyone has anything positive or negative to say about them.
    I was approved for $600: security deposit of $200, $99 one time fee (have to send in at least $49 of it), and $72 annual fee ($6 per month). Considering I only have a Providian Gold ($500) that was just opened, should I put in this much money for them?

4. Kelly

Kelly Well-Known Member

I've had their card for a little over a year. I haven't had any problems with them. Though I plan to get rid of them soon. I find their fees excessive. I have never received a credit increase. Nor, have they unsecured my card. On the other hand,
    Providian has steadily increased my limit (from $500 to $3100) and upgraded me to a gold card. Capital One has even increased my limit.

Good Luck to You

Kelly

5. roni

roni Well-Known Member

It was my first rebuilding car

I had first national bank of marin from 4/99 to 4/00. It has its pros and cons.

Pros
    1) They gave me my start in rebuilding credit, even before I really knew how to repair it.

2) It is secured and when I closed the account they returned the deposit ($200) no problem within a few short weeks.

3) They report to the credit bureaus monthly

Cons

1) They have the annoying habit of calling you before the payment is due to do a over the phone payment. That happened a couple of times. They call to see if and when you made a payment and offer to take your checking account # to make sure you are not late. It cost also. I went for it I think 2 times.

2) They have high fees, much like First Premier less. They charge $6-8/mo annual membership fee. That's a lot of loot.

3) You have to call them to unsecure your account or get credit line increases. (They are no like providian).

4) Customer service sometimes can be rude and sassy, but that just depends.

5) They offer that silly, -I forget the name- credit building planner to restore your credit. A newletter comes twice a year which is useless and ridiculous. Tells you to eat beans in order to pay your credit card bills. lol.

But all in all if you can not do better, First National Bank of Marin is ok. I can see where people could have a problem with them. If you are late, they will bug you. They call even if you arenot late sometimes. But they do report that positive credit every month. FCNB report every 4 months which isnot that great. I think the worse thing is the fees. But they gotta make that money. Good Luck !
    roni.

6. Desmond

Desmond Guest

To Kelly: RE: Bank of Marin

When did Providian offer you the Gold card was it when you reach a credit limit or 3100 or you had the card for a long time. That is good.

7. Kelly

Kelly Well-Known Member

RE: To Kelly: RE: Bank of Mar

It was a little over a year when they upgraded me to gold. They increased my limit $1000 with the upgrade. In between they had increased my limit by $1000 once and $500 once

Kelly