Bankruptcy Questions????

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Tara, Apr 19, 2000.

1. Tara

Tara Guest

If my husband were to file bankruptcy, is there a way my credit won't be hurt? My credit has a few bumps, but I can have it spotless again in a year or two. His on the other hand is about $14,000 in debt, a repo, and several chargeoffs. Can I keep my credit if he files?(as long as I don't include my debts in his bankruptcy) Please advise.

2. Kristi

Kristi Guest

Credit Reports are maintained seperately. If you do not default on any co-owed debts and do not file for BK then it should not be on your credit. The only time it would reference on you is if you guys had a mutual debt that was included in the BK. The debt would show "Included in BK" on your reports which would look strange since you would have no record of filing BK. The actual BK itself will not be on your credit, only the debts you are liable for would show refernce to a BK.

Tara wrote:
    -------------------------------
    If my husband were to file bankruptcy, is there a way my credit won't be hurt? My credit has a few bumps, but I can have it spotless again in a year or two. His on the other hand is about $14,000 in debt, a repo, and several chargeoffs. Can I keep my credit if he files?(as long as I don't include my debts in his bankruptcy) Please advise.