Banks won't waive fees on airl

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Bear, Dec 28, 2000.

1. Bear

Bear Guest

I have been increasingly annoyed by banks' unwillingness to waive annual fees on the airline accounts. Does anyone out there know what to say or do to make4 creditors waive the fee? Thanks

2. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

RE: Banks won't waive fees on

THEY WON'T...I spent $80,000 in one year on my UNITED AIRLINES VISA CARD...they said they CAN'T give me credit for the annual fee, so I dumped them for DISCOVERCARD!!!

THEY DIDN'T EVEN TRANSFER ME TO A RETENTION DEPARTMENT!!!

3. Doug

Doug Well-Known Member

RE: Question for GEORGE

May I asked you what kind of purchases you make GEORGE to ring up those kind of numbers.

4. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

RE: Question for GEORGE

ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING.

Had friends and relatives that wanted stuff...paid me cash then I charged it.

Paid my and other peoples bills, phone, longdistance, airline tickets, carpet for the whole house, roofing, cars, etc.

ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING!!!

(I have yet to buy a house though)

I rarely use cash, it is too expensive!!!

5. J. Edgar

J. Edgar Well-Known Member

Banks will NEVER waive annual fees on affinity cards. You are getting airline miles, or points, or free gasoline, or free borscht, or something else of perceived value to you. It's all part of the package. If you don't want to pay the fee, you aren't going to get the miles.

Do the math and see if it's worth shelling out the annual fee times the number of years it takes to earn a free ticket and how much that ticket would be worth to see if it's worth it.

If you charge $5000 a year on the card, it will take you 5 years to earn a free ticket (25,000 miles) on most airlines, so you better plan on going somewhere that costs more than $250.

6. creditwork

creditwork Well-Known Member

The Delta Amex Optima card has no annual fee. However, you must be an American Express card holder to get one. I have accumulated over 40,000 points in a couple of years. You can use the points to upgrade your tickects to first class, if you don't accumulate enough for a free ticket.

http://www.creditsense.com

7. sam

sam Well-Known Member

Citibank will give you like $300 cash back without annual fee, so take that and buy yourself a ticket on priceline :) no annual fee.

I think i paid $300 bucks for two round-trip tickets from atlanta to ny over thanksgiving :) thank god for them.

Spend smart...

8. Vish

Vish Guest

What's best card for earning a

Hi All,
    I am new to this site. I want to fly to Asia next year. What's the best card for earning air miles for this purpose ?
    Thanksin advance for your replies.

Vish