Being Harrased by Collection Agency

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by samitra, Jun 7, 2001.

1. samitra

samitra Active Member

I had a medical debt in 1993 which fell off due to the 7 year rule. However, this collection agency doesn't just send me letters, they keep calling. I tell them I do not know anything about this account. I am still recovery from major surgery and really do not want to handle this matter over the phone.

Need Advice:
    Should I tell or better yet write them I intend not to pay on this account because it is not mine, just straight out over the phone or by letter. Or should I say nothing at all and tell them to stop calling or harassing me about it. That is why they are calling to find out what I intend to do with the this and my last account with them.

Of course I know that can not put it back on credit report. (but they may try) It been almost eight years and I will dispute this account as not mine to the credit bureaus.

Thank you in advance for your advice.

sam

2. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

Since this is off your reports, I assume the SOL has ran out?? If so send them a Ceast and Desist letter certified mail and be done with them. If they do try to contact you again and harrass you then you could sue them. After they receive the C&D letter they can only contact you to inform you that they are going to sue and since the debt is that old I am sure the SOL has run out, so you should not hear from them again. Just check to make sure the SOL has run out.

3. samitra

samitra Active Member

<<posted by Momof3
    Since this is off your reports, I assume the SOL has ran out?? If so send them a Ceast and Desist letter certified mail and be done with them. If they do try to contact you again and harrass you then you could sue them. After they receive the C&D letter they can only contact you to inform you that they are going to sue and since the debt is that old I am sure the SOL has run out, so you should not hear from them again. Just check to make sure the SOL has run out. >>

Momof3,

I am still new to this board. Is there a difference between the 7 year rule and SOL?? I am from the state of SC. I know that the date of last activity on that account was 09/93 and has fallen off all three credit bureaus.

I have tried to read some of the other postings here about the subject but I get confused due to CFIDS/FMS. In some of the postings I read, it sounds like they are two separate entities. One I read sounds like that the rule may have expired but the maybe SC has different time period. If there is a difference, please explain to me.

Congratuations on being almost a homeowner. I am working toward having mine paid off in two half years by applying rapid debt reduction principles.

Thank you again for your advice.

samitra

4. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

Yes there's a difference, the 7 year reporting clock is the time this item can remain on your report. The "statue of limitations" is the time period in which they can sue you in order to collect a debt. If someone has the SOL link handy please post it, but I willl try to find it in the meantime.

5. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member