Being Rejected by American Exp

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Sallie Fae, Oct 15, 2000.

1. Sallie Fae

Sallie Fae Guest

I was recently rejected for an American Express card based on an account I never paid and that went to collections and finally just fell off my credit report after 7 years. It was just a measly $140 but I was recently rejected for an Amex card based on this. Is it right for them to reject me based on their own internal records for a default which happened over 8 years ago? Or must they only go by what the national credit reporting agencies say about me. I don't think it is fair to be judging me based on information over 7 plus years old wether it is true or not.

2. ALAN

ALAN Well-Known Member

RE: Being Rejected by American

They have every right to reject anyone - even if is past the 7 year mark.

3. curiouser

curiouser Well-Known Member

A lot of companies who have had a previous negative account history with you will reject an application based on their internal records. It is perfectly legal for them to do so. However, as Dogman has noted on this board, Amex may be willing to take a chance on you if you contact them, explain your current situation and how it differs from your previous experience with them and you offer to make good on your previous debt. There are no guarrantees with this, but if you really want an Amex card, you may want to try this. Understand they may still say no.

4. Alwilda Sm

Alwilda Sm Guest

Is it common for companies to keep their own independent databases? It would seem that they would just wish to rely on information from the major service providers, rather than "try to re-invent the wheel."

-Alwilda

Alan wrote:
    -------------------------------
    They have every right to reject anyone - even if is past the 7 year mark.

5. curiouser

curiouser Well-Known Member

Every credit provider keeps their own databases. That's how they bill you and keep account history. It's part of their general accounting system.

6. AMEX  rep

AMEX rep Guest

It is also a central part of fraud and risk management to keep each and every account ever opened--indefinately. If you think about this way--if you loaned money to a friend who then burned you, would you turn around and loan more money, even if others said he/she would pay you back? I would be learly until they paid back the old debt. As mentioned, Dogman paid a debt from '78 and got approved for a card. If you balance is around $160, that should be no problem and it woulf GREATLY help in getting another account with them. Good luck!

7. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

Jason is correct. but what may be different here is the overall position you're thinking about.

You are stating you think you've been slighted denied - because you XXXXed them once and it fell off your credit.

You still haven't simply paid them and tried it that way. That's the the honorable thing to do.

Maybe they will give you a chance.Dogman

8. RichGuy

RichGuy Guest

Be Glad it's American Express

If you think about it, AmEx using their own internal records is fairer than their using a credit report. The reason is that the internal information is more likely to be accurate.

It is also less likely to be tainted by duplicate entries, or by slanderous nonsense entries from psycho landlords who just got off the boat after torturing political prisoners or exterminating helpless villagers in their worthless homelands, which they were eager to abandon at the first possible opportunity in order to come here and abuse their liberty by cheating honest Americans who work for a living. (One sentence of 66 words, and I'm just getting started!)

Some sadistic pervert with malicious intent can send false information to a credit bureau and have it accepted uncritically and then repeated as gospel truth. The same pervert would be unable to get AmEx to slander you forever.

9. Saar

Saar Banned

RE: Be Glad it's American Expr

RichGuy wrote:
    "villagers in their worthless homelands... abuse their liberty... honest Americans"

For more information, turn to your local KKK office.

Saar

10. Saar

Saar Banned

RichGuy wrote:
    "villagers in their worthless homelands... abuse their liberty... honest Americans"

Saar

11. Saar

Saar Banned

RichGuy wrote:

Saar

12. RichGuy

RichGuy Guest

Nice Try

Nice try.

An honest American is anyone living in America who works for a living. Many landlords do not. Dirty money does indeed come into this country, money gained under corrupt regimes by extortion or political favors and not by honest work. Not all capital inflows improve the U.S. economy.

Violence, corruption and ethnic cleansing have indeed made many countries uninhabitable and therefore worthless to their inhabitants. Being against torture and extermination makes me an advocate of liberty, which benefits people of all races. My sympathy is obviously with oppressed villagers, not against them. The problem is that "free" international capital markets are turning all of us into oppressed "global villagers."

Some people come into this country without any knowledge of the American legal system, or sympathy with its goals. They feel free to break contracts or commit perjury against anyone not in their immediate group. This relates to the corrupt systems in their homelands, not to their race. But it affects us nevertheless. Liberty is not automatic. If abused by anyone, it destroys itself.