Best Credit Reference Book

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by NanaC, Jun 17, 2001.

1. NanaC

NanaC Well-Known Member

I'm just curious...does anybody have a book that they really liked regarding credit and credit repair issues? I know tht I started with Nolo's Quick and Legal Credit Repair and it got me going on this pretty good.

2. bbauer

bbauer Banned

Well, I would also like to get any more good ones out therre.
    I've got a whole shelf full of them and have yet to find anyting that didn't read like it had been written by employees of Equifax or one of the big three.

Just a bunch of pap with no real meat. It's been quite a while since I even heard of any good ones, or that are supposed to be good at the very least.

It's not that most of them don't have one or two points that do bring up interesting questions or make valid points, but it seems like they almost do it by accident.

Stuff like "Credit bureaus are not the consumers problem and they shouldn't blame the credit bureaus when things don't go their way."

Well, that was a real gem. I'd be willing to bet that the author that came up with that one said it to help get the consumers off of the CRAs backs. Then he went on to chide people who could not seem to understand that they needed to pay their bills in a timely fashion in order to avoid such problems and if they found themselves in trouble with their creditors they should contact them, Yada, Yada, Yada.

We have all heard the rest of that line of pap till we are about blue in the face, so I'll spare the rest of it.

That's all the books I can find. They all seem to come up with the same line of crap.
    But the little jewel about how we should'nt blame the credit bureaus really hit home, and not the way the author intended it to either.

So I too hope somebody has a good one or two to offer as a suggestion.

3. TCEast

TCEast Well-Known Member

I have read a couple of books by Robin Leonard and John Ventura. They had a couple of nuggets of useful information. Not worth the price of the book though. I found them at the local library. I did see a website for a book called "Fresh Start: authoritative guide to consumer credit repair" It looked promising but of course they all do on web sites. Has anyone had any experience with Fresh Start?

4. Marie

Marie Well-Known Member

Guerilla Credit repair.

I think there were 2 books by the author. Can't remember who the author was, but these books had some impressive letters in them.

5. curiouser

curiouser Well-Known Member

I really like and recommend
    "Your Money or Your Life" by
    Dominguez & ???. It's not
    about credit per se, but it
    does raise some interesting
    issues about consumption and
    debt. I don't agree with all
    of their advice, but I do
    like their approach towards
    discretionary spending. They
    frame it in terms of not
    only the monetary cost, but
    also the time cost.

Also, a pretty basic book is "Credit Card Debt" by Daskaloff. I'm not sure it will contain any new information for those who read this board regularly but it contains good information nonetheless.

I would suggest these books to those who have lower credit scores because of excessive credit card debt. If you need more heavy duty credit repair, I also like the "Guerilla" books.

6. CYA

CYA Well-Known Member

The Guerrilla Guide to Credit Repair (stated above), and second book The Fix your credit Workbook were by Todd Bierman et al. The second one has some heavey duty stuff in it like Summons and Complaints to be filed in Federal District Court for violations of credit laws, and each violation asks for $50K (usually 10 or 11 violations.) It suggests to use this threat for a deletion or settlement.

I have read several credit repair books, and these seem to be very good. I've heard some folks talking of the dueprocess.org books, but I have never read it due to its high price tag.