Best prime secured card to get

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by kenny, Jan 23, 2001.

1. kenny

kenny Well-Known Member

What is the best prime card get that is secured? My plan is to get like a chase or citibank card show them good paying habits and hopefully they will offer an unsecure card after like a year or 2.

Kenny

2. Cadillac408

Cadillac408 Well-Known Member

RE: Best prime secured card to

Citibank is the way to go. After 18 months, your in there!

Chase would be the way to go too but they require NO DEROGATORY CREDIT at all! There secured card is for people w/ virtually no credit who are trying to establish...not rebuild.

3. S.D.

S.D. Guest

How easy is it to get a citibank secured card? What is their deposit requirement? Was it Citibank or Chase who doesn't report the card at all until it hits the 18 months, and then reports the 18 month history?

4. Cadillac408

Both have beginning deposits of $300.

Citibank is the one that doesn't report until the card is unsecured after 18 months of perfect account history.....at that point, they report the whole 18 months.

5. S.D.

S.D. Guest

Thanks MP$40

Do you know if they give you a credit limit equal to your deposit, or more? BTW, Do you have a # for them to request a secured app? Jim said that he didn't see anything about it on the website...

6. Cadillac408

RE: Thanks MP$40

Chase: 800-48Chase
    Citibank: 800-950-5114

Both do credit line equal to your deposit.....NO MORE! Both take 18 months to get to unsecured status.

7. Saar

Saar Banned

A secured card is, by definition, sub-prime. I assume when you say "prime" you mean a reputable issuer.

A secured Citibank is not a good choice, since they don't report, hence you're not building any positive credit w/ anyone other than Citibank.

All things considered, the best secured card is currently offered by Capital One. You may apply through their web site.

Saar

8. David

David Well-Known Member

I agree, Capital One is the way to go for secured. It will cost about $49 to get $200 credit but they report and in 6 months offer a gold unsecured. I went to the site here it is http://apply2.capitalone.com/3757/3/index.jsp?s=03757003025XXJ1X1XX5ANCOVSSCXXA805053P568437
    also if you own a home try this one ivisaplatinum
    https://www.ivisaplatinum.com/loanapp/index.html?lead=CJ&AID=1110905&PID=568437