BEST SECURED CARD

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by STEPHANIE, Dec 25, 2000.

1. sam

sam Well-Known Member

RE: Cap1.....humm.....

Keep in mind Most people who qualify for providian get the no-grace period 23.99% interest, $250 line, with $89/yr membership fee and an acceptance fee.

If you plan to pay a lot of interest and need the high credit line.

By all means, But if you plan to charge and pay off the card monthly, check out cap 1.

Recap:

Aria/Providian $250 line of credit. $49-89 acceptance fee (prepay to receive card). $89/year member fee billed instantly to account. Cash Advance limit = limit - member fee. No Grace Period, 23.99% interest.
    Nice Limit increases for $$ (49-99$ fee) every 4 months.

Cap 1. $49-99 for 400-500 limit, $39 membership fee (yearly) billed to card. 25 Day grace period. 19.8% interest. Small ($200-300) credit increases every 6 months, for free.

I just find it hard to use a charge card that will charge me 23.99% interest (immediately) on a purchase. Thats robbery.

2. Doris K.

Doris K. Well-Known Member

If you're a member of a credit union, or if you're eligible to join one, check to see if they offer a secured card. While you'd probably get no more than your deposit for a credit limit, you'd definately note a much better interest rate. Having established credit with a credit union is a big plus when it comes to a wide array of financial needs at excellent interest rates.

3. Pizzaman

Pizzaman Active Member

Sterling sounds great, but there are several areas where their card is not available, such as WI.

4. Killer

Killer Guest

Doris,

Some time ago we discovered how close we live to one another;therefore, I was curious about which credit union you belong to. If membership is based on residence, maybe I could join and obtain a secured card. If you like you can send me an e-mail.

5. LKH

LKH Well-Known Member

I am surprised that no one mentioned FCNB - First Consumers National Bank. From what I understand they give up to 300% of your deposit for a credit line. www.fcnb.com

6. Killer

Killer Guest

Yea I hear that they are great also. But I don't carry their card. I carry Providian, Orchard, and DMB (that's right..I'm the sub-prime king!). I am not very impressed with the last two. They are OK but nothing special.

7. Doris K.

Doris K. Well-Known Member

I belong to the Brazos Valley Schools Credit Union because I taught at Willowridge High School before I retired. You'd either have to work for one of the area school districts or be related to someone who does to join.

Houston Federal Credit Union and First Community Credit Union are open for a lot of people in the area. To see if either is right for you, check out their websites. www.houstonfcu.org and www.fccu.org.

If neither seems to fit, just keep looking. There are quite a few in the area.