Best/worst poll

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by author_22, Oct 20, 2001.

1. RichGuy

RichGuy Well-Known Member

Re: Best and Worst

Best: Citibank

Worst: Discover
    First USA
    Capital One

2. Bill B

Bill B Well-Known Member

Best = Citi-Bank

Worst =
    Discover
    Providian
    Next Card

3. miles

miles Well-Known Member

Best:
    American Express
    Chase Manhattan
    Bank of America

Worst:
    Cross Country Bank- Never had a problem with account maintenance or customer service (true story :-D ), but fees upon fees.

Providian: Only good for rebuilding or establishing. Nothing more than that. Their choice.

Neutral: Capital One- Have had this account for 3 years. Only $1,900 limit. Credit increases and upgrades are like pulling teeth. My lowest credit limit is $5,000. I'm worn out trying to get anything else from them. As soon as my prime accounts age more, they are history.

4. supershawn

supershawn Well-Known Member

I think it's safe to say that the height of the pedastal on which you put the cards seriously depends on the level that you are standing at that time......

(POSITIVE) Providian was my first card post-BK, at that time they absolutely rocked. Now, well, it is a decent card but there are obviously better. My first card quickly escalated to gold and a better than 5k credit limit with a good rate. I was also give a Get Smart Visa with decent terms and a good CL. Only downfall is that they are pretty much know for being a sub-prime as they blatantly advertise it on tv...using the card in the checkout line sometimes gets you double-takes from the clerk...like they know you have 'skeletons'.

(POSITIVE) Capital One was my second post-BK card, and they have treated me very well sonce then (3.5 yrs). I now have three of their cards, two Gold (well, one is Plold, ir is it Glatinum?) and decent credit lines.

It should be noted that I had a Cap One before my BK that was discharged in the BK. They were very helpful during my BK, discussed the reasons for my BK, and offered restitution. Although I did not take it, they were very nice about the whole situation AND gave me a new card 6 months later (after eating 8k).

(NEUTRAL-NEGATIVE) Citibank, although a favorite of many here, treated me absolutely awful before my BK. When I was in bad shape, making deals with creditors to pay off the cards instead of including them in BK, Citibank would budge. All or nothing, including hundres if not thousands of dollars in late and over the limit fees....I also do not like the way they prey on students in college, but.......

(POSITIVE) American Express seems to go up and down....I have had the card since 1994. There have times when I absolutely loved them ,and then there are times when they really pissed me off. I can honestly say that, even though I use this card the most- mainly because of work (charged over 127k last year), their service has really fallen over the past two years. While their 'dispute' process used to be the best in the business, really protecting the customers, I feel that it is now pretty bad.

They have also dropped a lot of their extra services. They used to ship out quarterly catalogs from which (most) customers could purchase products (VERY high quality stuff, I bought my first big screen TV this way) and then select payment terms from 0-60 months. There was NO interest or service fee charged. They 'price-matched' from any verifiable source. You received DOUBLE rewards points for these purchases. The monthly payment was automatically charged to your Amex card. I REALLY miss this deal.

(NEGATIVE) Household bank. They bought one of my older accounts from another bank. Three years with not a single late payment. The first thing they did was raise my interest rate (on a balance of negative 4.79). Three years, perfect pay, same stupid 500.00 credit limit. Customer service is useless...I called to talk about a line increase, rep put me on hold three times, thne disconnected me. Without my knowledge, she had closed my account- had to call and get it re-opened. I want this account to age and then it is gone.

(NEGATIVE) First Premier. I got this card from TV. I don't know why, I must have hit my head on something. If you are rebuilding and need a card, ok, but it is going to cost you. They cahrge a monthly fee. HUH? My bank doen't even charge a monthly fee for my checking account. Six months perfect pay, no chance for an increase, I closed the card. They called several times to solicit me to re-open...same terms. What's the point?

(NEGATIVE) AT&T UNIVERSAL. Had this card pre-BK. Service was not good at all. Before BK, I made a deal for partial payoff and deletion of negatives. This was a very large payment but I was trying to avoid BK. I made the payment, they cashed the check. Then they charged of the rest of the balance and left it on my report. I would never do business with them again....I tried to make good and they screwed me.

(NEGATIVE) ACE VISA. "American Credit Educators". I have known several people who have accepted a phone solicitation from this copmany. They offer you a credit card with a $300-400 limit, then charge you that amount for a "credit education kit". Basically, you get a maxed out low limit credit card in the mail with an extremely high interest rate. I only know one person who actually received the "education kit" and he described it as worthless. Stay away from this deal unless you absolutely cannot get any other secured card deal.

(POSITIVE) CHASE. Treated me very well before my BK. I made a deal to pay off the card, was not in BK. I have not applied since but I have several friends with great term cards through Chase. My best friend...mostly unemployed....recently received and took advantage of a pre-approved Platinum Chase with a 17k credit limit. This is a guy with about 4 maxed out cards and no job.....makes you feel special, huh?

Just my 274,000 Lira.......
    (sorry about the length)

Shawn

5. freeze

freeze Active Member

I find it very hard to believe that you found somebody in Sears Home Office to state that Sears trains their associates poorly. Sears has one of the most extensive training programs for their credit customer service associates. Just because they probably told you something that you did not want to hear, or accept doesn't mean they were wrong. The question I ask is how did you get to Home Office to speak with somebody, and was it really their Home Office?

6. Terry

Terry Well-Known Member

Providian-Neutral-I agree they are good with rebuilding and when you are stuck between prime and subprime. I am trying to get my APR reduced 23.99 on a gold card is way too high. I wrote planet feedback, if they don't reduce it, its BT to my new chase card and closed.

FCNB-Positive-Gave me a credit card when my reports were pages and pages of charge off's. Their customer service is pretty good for sub prime (even prime for that matter). APR is high 19.8. They charge 8.00 for a phone check payment. Most of the time, I remember and mail my payment 2 weeks before due, always posts within 3 business days. I have never had a problem with them. Started with a 500 cl now 850 cl after 3 years. It seems like I get 50-100 bucks every 6 months like clockwork. I did get a speigel card after having my mc one year. Started with 250 limit in May of 1999, now 3800 cl.

Household-Negative-I make all my payments online, so I don't have to deal with customer service. I had the dreaded ACE Visa. My experience with them was positive. They even increased my credit limit 3x's. Its my oldest tradeline, since Oct 97. Household purchased ACE Visa accounts last year some time. I have a Fedelity Bank Mastercard that was purchased by Household too. They are not set up with online payments and statements yet. Hopefully, it will come soon. and I had a Household card that I was pre approved for in Dec of 99. Started out 300 they raised it 200 this summer. So, in total I have 3 household cards. My ace visa is my oldest tradeline, so I can't get rid of it.

Chase-Positive-I was approved for it last week and received my card a few days later. 6K credit limit with 2.99 APR on BT for the first 6 months. I called customer service one time, and they were first class all the way. They introduced themselves using Mr/Mrs customer rep, how can I assit you. I am totally happy with them so far. I received a manual review to get the card. I received the platinum offer but I am scared since I had to go through manual review to receive the classic card. So I am going to BT all of my sub prime cards to the 2.99 apr and negotiate better terms. If not I will close them.

7. OtherTerri

OtherTerri Well-Known Member

8. OtherTerri

Freeze - Do you work for Sears? Why are you giving me the third degree?

You assumed that I am upset with them because I don't like something they said to me. There is a lot to my story with them, and my complaint here was with the way they treat customers. My credit record with them is perfect. They should treat me well.

9. OtherTerri

Freeze - Also, I am not questioning how extensive the training is that Sears csr's receive, I am referring to the "type" of training.

And - THEY WERE WRONG, AND STILL ARE!!!!!

10. Mark LA

Mark LA Well-Known Member

Re: Best/worst poll (long)

Good idea - the poll - it kind of forces you to evaluate your finances too.
    anyway - here's mine - from best to worst

amex blue - best card due to great membership rewards program, good cs and decent apr - in my case - 10.9%. Only drawback - conservative with credit lines - started at 3.7K about 9 mos ago - 6 mos later received automatic increase of another 1K. Called to see if they could raise it more - they said have to wait another 6 mos. all in all - don't really mind - it still ranks as my best card.

Bank of America Platinum MC - I have my checking and savings there - so I guess that's why I have pretty good terms with them - 12K cl at 10.9% and good bt offers from time to time. however - no rewards program like amex.

Amex Delta Gold Skymiles. high apr 14.24% low cl 2K and $30 annual fee (reduced from $80 cause i have their gold charge card) however - still gets number 3 spot because of 10,000 bonus miles upon approval and double miles for some purchases. I have family in NY, live in CA - so I fly about 4 times a year - for me it's worth it.

Elan Platinum Visa. Don't know alot about them - they bought out the bank I previously had the card with - Security First Network Bank - and raised my limit to 8.2K at 11.65% - nice credit increase - apr so-so.

Chase Stockback Plat MC. Just got this one - 6K limit - apr with chase is confusing - depends on balance on card and if you have a checking account with them - however I think it's 13.24% - way too high - but - they had a good 6 month bt and purchases offer at 2.9%. Basically did it for the bt - and also wanted to start a relationship with Chase.

Generations Bank - their biggest plus - they don't report so it's a hidden cl - and they're a small bank and they give you more personalized service. apr so-so at 12.9% - but they lower it by 3% in 12 mos - as long as you've been good - no late pays etc. Another plus - after applying they allow you to raise your cl - dollar per dollar if you bt. I bt's 3.2K - and will bt back part of it to a lower card in a month. total cl: 8.2K

Citibank illumina - yeah - they're nice and all - however their apr's are high - 15.24% in my case. I applied for the card due to the 0% bt offer (however - they charge a $50 transaction charge - so you should transfer at least 2K to make it worthwhile). Low cl: 4k (they checked my Experian - which is my worst report - Chase checked TU - my best report - oh well).

cards i paid off and closed:
    Providian - i was young and needed the money - high apr, annual fees, etc. Customer service - however - were usually nice
    Next Card - bouncing aprs even tho i always paid in full - raised and lowered and raised apr every few mos - bad cs - this company gave me the creeps.
    10. Fleet Fusion - after i received the card started hearing horror stories about them - bait and switch - jacking up aprs - lowering cl - and at the time I thought i had too many cards anyway so I closed it after 4 months - even tho I got a 0% apr for 6 mos. I don't know - just had a bad feeling about this bank - and custormer service were kind of unpleasent.

11. jaj1701

jaj1701 Well-Known Member

***** MBNA Quantum - 9.99% Fixed APR, High credit line. Concierge service was also to get me tickets to a soldout event (2002 Frozen Four Hockey). Cash advance limit is same as regular credit limit and at the same rate!!!! Online credit card access shows approvals and charges!!!! I can go a store and the authorization shows up within minutes. Frequent balance transfer offers.

****1/2 Citibank Platinum Select- High Credit line, Prime + 1.65% APR, great online services for payment and account access. Occasional balance transfer offers.

**** American Express Blue - Med-High credit line. Great 9.9% fixed rate. Would have gotten 4 1/2 if they aren't cancelling the Best Value Guarantee. One dispute was no problem. Have had credit reporting issues. Good banking services too including Prime+2.99% unsecured LOC. Great HELOC rates too.

**** Sears - Fine credit line for a retail card. Good online services and bill pay. Frequent 0% apr and 10% off offers. Typical retail card APR.

***1/2 Target Visa - Medium credit line. Nice replacement for store card. Great 9.9% fixed rate. Good online services. Haven't used a lot to evaluate further.

*** Wells Fargo Visa - Low credit line. High interest rate. My oldest card so I don't want to close it.

*** Marshall Field's Card - Ok credit line for a retail card. No online access. Good customer service. Typical retail card APR. Oldest credit line, will never close

** Walmart Card (Monogram Credit Card Bank of Georgia). Low credit line, high interest rate for converted Wards card holders, decent APRs for new customers. Terrible online access with no bill pay. Accepted at Sam's Club

12. Calypso

Calypso Well-Known Member

The BEST

Amex: Best customer service, protection in merchant disputes, benefits, flexibility, rewards, online account mgmt.

I love Amex. (Now if they can just get their Experian
    reporting working)

Citibank: Great with credit line increases, good APRs
    balance transfer offers, and now, online payments
    even post promptly

BofA: Always wonderful customer service, increases without inquiries, tempting BT offers.

Nordstroms: The only dept store I've seen with Amex-type customer service. Plus, they will negotiate
    APRs!

US Bank LOC-- Always been fair with me. (and generous!)

The REST:

Chase. I like Chase except when it comes to negotiating APRs or credit limits. Why do they insist on pulling a HARD for a credit limit increase? They
    can see everything with a soft, right? I *want* to like Chase, but they need better customer service.

Discover. Don't like expirations on BTs. (I do like the ease with which you can check for them on their website)

First USA/Bank 1. I've read negative comments here, but they always send great BT offers. Telephone customer service isn't that great, but they respond promptly to emails.

Cap 1. Don't have one, but have seen the havoc they create with their stubborn refusal to report actual limits.

Providian. Don't have one and have read a lot of horror stories, but my friend who has a Plat has had a great experience so far. (Are they changing?)

Calypso's Hall of Shame:

Household. Back in the day I signed up for one of those "10% discount offers if you get one of our cards" spiels.
    Little did I know. Hard to cancel, incompetent customer service. 10% ain't worth it. Use your "real" card and get miles!