BIL Just received collection notice this week on medical bill, advice please

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by smr2001, May 18, 2012.

1. jam237

jam237 Well-Known Member

They can not refuse to accept a letter a memorialization drafted by him to confirm in writing the terms to which they agreed. Now, they can refuse to honor said terms within the memorialization, however to do so would provide grounds for a false and misleading representations suit.

Remember of course, that this is just a quick draft of something similar to what I would write if I was in this situation. You and/or your BIL will want to make sure that it's in your own words, and understandable to you.

DSDA Collections,

This letter is to memorialize the conversation that I had with Juliana Hautiness at xx:xx on xx/xx/xxxx.

Juliana agreed to the following terms: $200 a month payments, with no interest on the balance of $x,xxx.xx to DSDA Medical Center.

Should the terms that Juliana agreed to make to resolve this matter, not be honored, I will be forced to file a suit in the United States District Court for the _ District of _, for making false and misleading representations in the collection of the debt, in violation of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act.

2. smr2001

smr2001 Active Member

Jam, thank you for the information. When I speak to him this weekend I'll recommend this approach. I do however have a question. Why wouldn't they put this in writing, it doesn't make any sense to me.

3. JoshuaHeckathorn

JoshuaHeckathorn Administrator

Because they never want to put anything in writing if they can get away with it. And often they do, which is why employees are probably taught to try this angle in the first place.

4. jam237

jam237 Well-Known Member

If it's not in writing, they can claim their word against yours.

By putting it in writing, even your own writing, then sending it to them, BEFORE ACTING UPON the agreement, they can't argue that they accepted the payment without a meeting of the minds.

This is the problem with the restrictive endorsement approaches. Just putting an endorsement on the comment line restricting the payment, doesn't establish a complete contract.

5. smr2001

smr2001 Active Member

Hello again everyone.

BIL called me this week asking for additional advice on this debt. He paid it down to $1,700 and then stopped paying. It's been almost a year since he's made a payment and the CA just stopped calling him. He's going to be attempting to do a re-fi or something like that and they're going to do a credit pull on him.

First I told him I thought that medical debt no longer hit one's FICO as severely as it used too and two I told him why not contact them with another offer, say 1/2 of his balance.

Any other thoughts here? Thanks again!

6. jam237

jam237 Well-Known Member

If the CA stopped calling him, it may be with someone else now.

The problem, if it's with the same company, he entered into an agreement, then stopped. It may be hard to get a new agreement with them.

A lot of times, when an account is transferred, there isn't all of the documentation, so a new CA may be the best option, for trying to make a new deal.

7. smr2001

smr2001 Active Member

HE'S BACK LOL.

So I see BIL over the weekend during a family gathering and he brings-up this debt again. Here's a quick timeline
    • December 2011 BIL incurs medical debt
    • According to Experian Date Opened was 5/1/2012 which I assume was when it went to collections
    • Experian lists Status as "CLOSED"
    • Experian lists Payment Status as Late
    • Somewhere in 2012 he came to agreement with CA and made several months of payment but then stopped
    • Last month (09/01/2015) a new collections company sent him a letter trying to collect, he did not respond and hasn't heard anything from them in the last 45 days

So a couple of questions:
    1 - Does the status of closed on his credit report simply mean the CA who the hospital sold the debt too no longer has the debt? On the credit report it lists the CA name as the account and the hospital as the Original Creditor. Or does this mean the debt to this Original Creditor has been closed?
    2 - Debt was incurred in a state with a 4 year statute (SOL) of limitations on the collection of medical debt. However, he moved to a state with a 6 year SOL on the collection of medical debt. Which SOL would apply? I'm hoping the 4 year so our next meeting will not be about his medical debt LOL

Thanks in advance!

PS - Sorry for the messed-up formatting, tried to use lists and numbers but goofed it up.

8. jam237

jam237 Well-Known Member

1) More than likely the previous account is CLOSED; if they sold it, it should also list a ZERO balance.

If the new company is reporting, it should list a balance.

2) Well, the answer could be none of the above. Unfortunately. Think of SOL like this. If you've ever seen the cartoon that shows the big dog being teased "This is out (side of the reach of his chain); this is in..." SOL in most jurisdictions works similarly.

You have a giant ferocious dog (lawsuit), when you are within the range of the dog's chain (the state's jurisdiction), you are running down the 4 or 6 year clock.

The caveat with SOL in most jurisdictions, when you move outside of the range of the dog's chain. Time stops.

So, in the case of a four year SOL, if you move out of the jurisdiction at 3 years, 360 days; they have until you move BACK into the jurisdiction and have stayed in the jurisdiction for longer than 5 days to sue.

9. JoshuaHeckathorn

JoshuaHeckathorn Administrator

So smr2001, I can't believe this thread has been going on since back in 2012! Have you had a recent meeting agin with BIL? And if so, what's the latest on the medical debt? Has the new CA continued to try and collect?