Bill Bauer imposter

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by breeze, Apr 19, 2001.

1. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

Hey, y'all, it looks to me like someone has been posing as Bill Bauer for the last few days. I have his real adsl address in an email header where he responded to a few questions about his website. It is different from the adsl address of the last few days ridiculous posts, where he appears to be posting as lizzie and sammy. Those posts are from a similar, but different adsl address. So, I went back to Sunday, when he was responding to posts on the board, and sure enough, those posts come from the same address as the one in the email. Just thought y'all would want to know.

fake Bill Bauer posts from this address:

Get a different wagon
    Author: Bill Bauer (adsl-64-217-24-66.dsl.okcyok.swbell.net)
    Date: 04-18-01 22:24

Hold the phone!
    Author: Lizzie (adsl-64-217-24-66.dsl.okcyok.swbell.net)
    Date: 04-18-01 11:49

Re: Judy
    Author: Sammy (adsl-64-217-24-66.dsl.okcyok.swbell.net)
    Date: 04-18-01 13:01

Yeah! That's for sure! We gotta get rid of that crazy old coot somehow. Maybe he'll just dry up and blow away.

Real Bill Bauer posts from this address:

Get out of debt?? NOT!!
    Author: Bill Bauer (adsl-64-217-26-55.dsl.okcyok.swbell.net)
    Date: 04-16-01 15:43

Real Bill Bauer's email reply to one of my questions came from this address (expanded headers and I X'd out my email address):

Received: from netzero.net ([64.217.26.55]) by mta5.rcsntx.swbell.net (Sun Internet Mail Server sims.3.5.2000.01.05.12.18.p9) with ESMTP id <0GBU00DW6XW6CW@mta5.rcsntx.swbell.net> for XXXXXbreeze@XXXX.com; Sun, 15 Apr 2001 18:43:19 -0500 (CDT)

2. Nave

Nave Well-Known Member

Only one Bill

Real Bill, "Fake" Bill - Same dude!

Oklahoma City must have cheap DSL rates.

-Dave

3. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

Re: Only one Bill

Why do you say that? He has two dsl accounts??

breeze

4. Maximus

Maximus Active Member

Re: Only one Bill

Nothing you can say can change the way we feel
    about our guy.........
    our guy...............

5. Bill Bauer

Bill Bauer Guest

The great detective

Breeze, Neither of the DSL addresses you gave as proof of being an imposter have any validity whatever.

I'm not trying to put you down here for posting something that you obviously know very little about, because no matter how educated we become, there will always be much more that we didn't know or realize. So before you take me wrong, I'm not trying to put you down.

The first three sets of numbers in 00.00.00.00 or whatever variation there always is, are the address numbers of the ISP. Those are permanently assigned to each ISP, be it DSL or whatever. The last set of numbers are the DNS numbers for the individual device connected to the ISP line.

SWBELL claims that they automatically change those last digits every half hour in order to cut down on hackers or something like that. Don't remember their reason for sure.
    I don't think they do it anywhere near as often as they claim, but they do change them quite often, and if for whatever reason one disconnects from the internet, even for a second, those numbers will change automatically and the numbers will be assigned to the next person logging on to the service.

In my particular case and in that of lots more people, there is no actual computer on the line that is being assigned those numbers. A router is often what they have connected to the internet and then quite often one or more hubs to which may be connected even more hubs and then finally to computers.

In my case, we use a 24 port router which has 24 other hubs or printers or other devices sharing the same network. Although we do use regular computers connected to the hub to do online tasks, what they do is totally automated and are seldom ever touched by a human operator.

We don't use DOS based computers for most things, including being on line. We use a unix based main frame to which we can acutally hook an almost unlimitied number of work stations, up to whatever number we may need.

But the DSL line only sees the whole mess as one single computing device. Doing that, a very large number of people can all be on the internet at the same time, and using T! and T3 and other types of lines, they can hook into the main frame from anywhere in the world or even out of it for that matter using satellite feeds and it still just looks like one single computer to the actual DSL line. That's the way hubs and routers work.

One can use those DNS numbers and tell the computer to "ping 00,000,00,10 or whatever other combinations of numbers and one can actually trace the computer being pinged down to an actual physical address and one specific computer if one has sufficient resources and expertise to do so, but you still cannot identify the actual inidvidual who used that machine.

When you ping a computer, it answers the ping and identifies itself. A good high quality router will not answer the ping. It just ignores it and therefore the "invader" cannot even tell if a computer is out there at that address or not because it gets nothing at all returned from it's ping request. Total silence.

Does that help you understand the reasons for the different addresses that you see coming from the same machine which is not a computer at all but a router and how there can be people from all over the world that come up looking like they are all from the same machine when thay are in one sense but in the acutal physical sense they could actually be anywhere in the world, maybe even in a rocket or using a satellite feed or on a space station?

And no, I don't, I don't have any rockets or space stations.
    I just used that as an example.

Have a nice day.
    Hope I have helped you to understand a little better

Bill Bauer

6. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

No, but thanks :)

So you are all those other people, Bill? Why on earth would you post all that nonsense? Excuse me, but......

My brother is an engineer, I am not. He has DSL and a router and server, and a number of computers connect from his office, but he has a fixed IP address, and is always online. I know about his. That is all.

breeze

7. Bill Bauer

Bill Bauer Guest

Static vs Dynamic DNS

Yes, what you say is entirely possible and even very likely.. Here is why. There are both static and dynamic IP addresses. This is true both with DSl and standard analog lines at 56K. Those who have static (never changes) IP addresses are usually those who have large server farms and supply webpages to the public. Their customers must always be able to find their webpages, and if the IP is not static and stable, the address for the webpages would always be changing and nobody could find anything on the internet.
    Most ISP providers charge extra money to provide a static address to a customer.

Dynamic IP addresses can and do change a lot. They are sometimes changed on a regular schedule, sometimes only when a customer disconnects from the internet and then at some later time he re-connects, he is automatically assigned a new IP address, but it will always remain very similiar with only a couple of the numbers changed, usually if not always at the end of the address.

Vaya con Dios.
    Bill Bauer