BK dispute with Experian

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by LKH, Nov 6, 2000.

1. LKH

LKH Well-Known Member

As per my discussion with Citibank re:AA advantage card if my bk was removed from experian report, I sent my dispute certified mail on 10-19. Today I get my "updated" report stating verified remains as is. I immediately called experian and asked who they verified it with. They couldn't give me a phone #, address or anything else, only "it was verified". I called the BK court here and asked if a verification had been sent to them. I was put on hold and then several minutes later told "no contact whatsoever from experian". I called back to exp. and spoke to a different rep.I told her I want this either removed or updated to show at least dismissed. Final outcome is they will verify again. I don't believe they questioned it at all the first dispute. They also claim to have verified a collection account that is not mine that has been removed from the other bureaus. Any suggestions on how to deal with these liars?

2. mj

mj Well-Known Member

LKH-

The old days of having to pull hard-copy on BK verifications are long gone.

In Mass. anyone can go to the courthouse and use a public terminal to pull basic info re: BK (when filed, status, dismissal date, liabilities, assets, etc.). If you sign-up for it, you can get this info. via a dedicated dial-up connection (not over the 'net yet).

SO... if it's on the systems at the courthouse, it's going to stay there for the 7 or 10 years (you said 13, right? that's 7 years).

Careful about pushing Experian too much - you'll get flagged as filing frivilous disputes- which could mean all future disputes immediately go into the circular file.

I also spoke w/Citi today - my BK is 5 years old but didn't include any personal debt (medical stuff from late mom). No go - they won't even consider it until 7 years. Interesting, since their sister company Diners Club gave me a no-preset limit Diners card + a $2,000 cash advance line + $10,000 revolving line of credit ... less than 9 months after the BK was dismissed (with a person able to look at the whole picture and make a judgement call).

Worked out good for them - they've made a ton of money on me for the last 4 years. Too bad the other side of the house doesn't work the same way. Oh well, I'll just keep using NextCard and Macy's!

(PS - you may also want to see what NextCard will do for you - they auto-approved me on-line for a 9.9% @ 10k).

Good luck-
    MJ

3. pat

pat Guest

simple answer

if the BK is real and not outdated you are just trying to get deleted, give up.
    if it is outdated (older than what the FCRA allows to be reported) fax a letter to Thomas Gasparini at Experian (714-938-2513) stating that they are violating the FCRA and threatening to sue. Call 15 minutes after faxing (714-385-8296) to verify that the fax was received. Keep your letter to one typed page, and include all relevant info.

4. Kristi

Kristi Guest

RE: simple answer

Pat,That was excellent advice! A very quick painless solution.

Cheers!

pat wrote:
    -------------------------------
    if the BK is real and not outdated you are just trying to get deleted, give up.
    if it is outdated (older than what the FCRA allows to be reported) fax a letter to Thomas Gasparini at Experian (714-938-2513) stating that they are violating the FCRA and threatening to sue. Call 15 minutes after faxing (714-385-8296) to verify that the fax was received. Keep your letter to one typed page, and include all relevant info.

5. LKH

LKH Well-Known Member

RE: simple answer

The BK was filed, but dismissed as I did not go through with it. Equifax deleted it. What I would like is to at least have it updated to show "filed - dismissed" or, if I'm lucky - deleted.

6. pat

pat Guest

Dear Mr. Gasparini...

Experian lists a bankruptcy on my consumer credit report. This item is contrary to fact: I did not go bankrupt.
    Experian claims to have "verified" the information to which I refer above. I do not understand why any third party might "verify" a bankruptcy which did not occur; it is not hard to imagine an Experian employee falsifying a verification.
    In any event, I request that you kindly delete the item at once. I believe that Experian has violated the FCRA, and has created a great deal of liability on its behalf. I am not looking for litigation, but I will institute an FCRA lawsuit if you do not comply with this request within 14 days.