Blacklisted at AMEX

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by rick, May 9, 2000.

1. rick

rick Well-Known Member

It looks like the blacklist at AMEX is alive and well. They turned me down for a secured Optima card, due to filing bankrupcty 10 years ago with Optima. My credit has no late pays or anything else negative on it. Optima had to charge off about $1000 ten years ago. Any ideas on how to change their mind? One rep., told me if the balance is still outstanding they would NEVER consider me for a card. So if I coughed up the $1000 they would then "consider". Any ideas out there?

2. Eric

Eric Guest

Isn't that supposed to be resolved by the bankruptcy? Can they still hold it against you?

3. Mo

Mo Guest

After all the discussion on the blacklisting at AMEX, I still don't know the answer, and I can also add even some more confusion to it.

I had a charge off on the green card for $1200 in 1986 (just part of some more extensive credit problems). Over the years I have rehabbed my credit to where my lowest FICO score is now 730, and I received a pre-approved offer from AMEX. Knowing of the supposed blacklisting, I called their customer service and asked, point blank, about it. The rep told me that she knew of no such policy. Wanting confirmation, I called again to another rep, and this time, I was told that he had, indeed, heard that blacklisting was a policy. I called again, and this time, was met with a " I don't have a clue" response. So it apparently is not a integral policy at AMEX, and that leads me to believe that it is a case by case basis.

Who knows. At any rate, not wanting to have an unnecessary inquiry, I ripped up their offer.

4. JP

JP Guest

Eric

They can't legally collect the debt nor list the negative entry after the time limit, but they can never give you a card again.

Regards,
    JP

5. John Debto

John Debto Guest

Are you sayin the backrupcy is not listed on ANY of your credit reports?

6. rick

rick Well-Known Member

That is correct, it just shows in AMEX's computer, since they charged off $1008 ten years ago.

7. BOB

BOB Guest

Rick the BK took care of the $1008, and although it is not on your CR and still in AMEX records I would not try to get a card their yet. Even if you pay them they probably
    wouldn't give a card for fear that it would happen again. I personally would let it go for now, and sometime in the future maybe it
    will get deleted from their records. At least it's not on your CR. The chances of
    getting a negative request are to high to risk it, especially since your BK has just dropped off (I presume). Start over and learn
    from the past so it doesn't happen again.