Blue 9.99% approved (for now...)

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Saar, Oct 14, 2001.

1. Saar

Saar Banned

CS has previously put in a request to lower my Blue APR from 10.99% to 9.99%.

When I called later last week, I was (again) told that even though they had put in a request, I can't be considered for a lower APR and it would be declined.

Well today I called, and the rep says... "yes, you've got the fixed 9.99%". In total disbelief I hung up and called again, got another rep and inquired about my current APR. "a fixed 9.99%" was again the answer.

I'm not getting my hopes high, since I know if their automated system won't like it, it would switch it back to the old rate, but it still is a very good sign.

Saar

2. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

I'M WAITING FOR AN ANSWER TOO...

I e-mailed them telling them, I would be MORE likely to "LET IT RIDE"...(not pay in full) if I had 9.99%...BUT WOULD ALWAYS PAY IN FULL IF I HAD 12.99%...

3. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

YOU GOT A BETTER ANSWER THAN I DID WHEN I CALLED ON THE PHONE...

I was told to apply for the 9.99% account...THEN CLOSE THE 12.99% ACCOUNT.

4. Saar

Saar Banned

Re: Blue 9.99% approved (for now...

Do what I did.

Call, and tell the rep you're not hanging up until s/he puts in a request for the 9.99% rate.

Doesn't matter if they tell you you can't get it. Tell them you absolutely insist that they put in a request, even if they're positive you'd be declined. Again, no hanging up until they do it.

And don't even think of doing it through e-mail -- it's hard enough to get them to do it over the phone.

MCS should be able to transfer you to no higher than 10.99% anyway. Try more than once, they must take you to 10.99% max.

Saar

5. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

I TOLD THEM I WOULD CLOSE THE BLUE ACCOUNT IF THEY DIDN'T GIVE ME THE CASH BACK CARD THAT WAS "PRE-APPROVED"...

They let it be closed and I didn't get the CASH BACK CARD...

I am always afraid I will say the wrong thing...

6. Tony V.

Tony V. Well-Known Member

I called CS (9.28.2001) and demanded they issue me the 9.99 product... the rep insisted i would need to close my blue since 1/2001 and reapply (another hard inquiry)...told her NO put the request in....received my statement last week and its now 9.99%......and i never 'let it ride' as GEORGE said also....this was my first time calling for this apr reduction......i may have gotten lucky!.....

Tony Verrengino
    San Diego, Ca

7. Jim

Jim Well-Known Member

Congrats Saar!

I hope AMEX honors the 9.9% apr.

Jim

8. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

Even if they do reduce it to 9.99%...THEY CAN SAY IT WAS A MISTAKE...LIKE SOME ON THIS BOARD, AND TAKE IT BACK...

9. Saar

Saar Banned

Yes, but it's toll-free and you've got nothing to lose.

Let's try this new approach: No threatening to close, just being stubborn as hell (but not nasty) until they surrender unconditionally by putting in your request. The longer they refuse, the longer they'll have you stay on the line w/ you.

Since they have the power to put in your request, it all sums up in who's gonna give up first, you or the rep. All you have to do is let them blink first.

Saar

10. the other

the other Well-Known Member

I had mine reduced to 9.99 previously. It showed up on one statement, then the next statement, it was back to 12.99. I called to complain and was told that the first rep I spoke to was not allowed to do such a switch, and I had to stay with 12.99.

11. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

you continue to EXCEL with your credit goals, as always.

hope you are well saar :) dogman

12. Saar

Saar Banned

Me too. This was my second round. Apparently, getting the 9.99% is hard. But getting them to lower an existing 12.99% to a 10.99% should be easier, especially w/ MCS (Amex "R").

For me it was only a 1% change, since the initial rate was 10.99% - but I still welcome any rate cut.

Saar