Blue - purchases declined even

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by me, Aug 22, 2000.

1. me

me Well-Known Member

Anyone else have a problem with Amex Blue card and having purchases declined even though you have plenty of available credit?

I have had my card since June (account was opened in April, but it took them that long to get the card to me.) Twice I have had purchases declined.

Once was for a twenty-some dollar purchase with about $1200 available. And today with about $500 available and a purchase of about $60. However, after I was declined at Wegmans, I was able to make a purchase with it at 2 other stores - $68, and $50 with no problem.

It is rather annoying to have this problem. Right now I have other cards to use, but I was planning on closing most of my accounts. I wanted to keep this one, but not if I am having this problem.

Anyone else have this problem with their Blue card?

2. Stormie

Stormie Guest

RE: Blue - purchases declined

You should definately contact them and inquire about this problem. It may have nothing to do with AMEX however, it could be that merchants autorization system is down, especially since you were then able to use it at other stores. The best way to solve this problem is to contact AMEX and see if they have been having any difficulties with authorizations on your account, and give them the merchants name where you were declined at so they are aware of the situation. That can be so frustrating to be declined when you have sufficent credit available. Good Luck. Keep us posted.

3. Doris K.

Doris K. Well-Known Member

I have problems at two stores every time I present a credit card to them. My cards are always declined at K-Mart and Comp USA at least once. It doesn't matter which card I give them, it has to be run more than once before I can get approval.

Once at Comp USA, I was declined so many times, I finally told them to keep their stuff, and I went to another store where I had no problem. Needless to say, I had plenty of credit on all my cards, including my debit card.

Some stores just have crap for authorization systems.

4. miles

miles Well-Known Member

It is also possible that the magnetic strip on the back of your card is damaged. You may want to request another card.

5. J. Edgar

J. Edgar Well-Known Member

They can always manually key in your credit card information, but most of the slackers that work in these big chain retail stores are too friggin' lazy to do it, or so poorly trained that no one showed them how.

6. me

me Well-Known Member

One of the times it was declined was when they keyed it in.

7. Lopez

Lopez Guest

Doris K. wrote:
    -------------------------------
    I have problems at two stores every time I present a credit card to them. My cards are always declined at K-Mart and Comp USA at least once. It doesn't matter which card I give them, it has to be run more than once before I can get approval.

Once at Comp USA, I was declined so many times, I finally told them to keep their stuff, and I went to another store where I had no problem. Needless to say, I had plenty of credit on all my cards, including my debit card.

Some stores just have crap for authorization systems.>>

It's still embrassing though!

8. heather

heather Well-Known Member

If there is something wrong with their terminal, then it will still be declined whether the card is swiped or manually entered. The best thing to do in that situation (when you KNOW you have the available credit) is to have the salesrep call your credit card company and obtain a verbal authorization.

9. Doris K.

This wasn't with just one card. This was with every card in my wallet. Their system just discriminates against *bitchy* old women ;-)

10. Doris K.

It didn't embarass me. Because they have crap for authorization systems and numb-nuts for cashiers, they lost sales to another business. I'm also inclined to buy elsewhere to avoid the hassel. I have informed the management at both businesses of this, but I'm sure they couldn't care less. Oh well....

11. RichGuy

RichGuy Guest

Beware of Magnetic Fields

Doris, you need to be more careful where you walk. Stay away from X-ray machines, power transformers, etc. Or perhaps you have your own personal magnetic field, in which case there's no hope for your poor cards.

12. Doris K.

RE: Beware of Magnetic Fields

I guess you're right...I'll have to give up my pleasureable habit of climbing utility poles and tinkering with the transformers. Damn! The sacrifices we elderly folks have to endure! ;-)