Bob, What did you spend being

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by David, Jun 2, 2000.

1. David

David Well-Known Member

Bob,

I wondered if you would say how much you spent on a food budget each month while being disabled. You said you ate a lot of beans and never went out. It seems a remarkable story to pay all your bills and not go BK.

David

2. BOB

BOB Guest

RE: Bob, What did you spend be

David, The we ate alot of beans line was
    a statement to say we ate cheaply, hamburgers, beans, etc. We didn't starve,
    we have 2 kids and our grocery bill was approx. $75 a week. You can do it if you shop smart,use coupons and cut out somethings like pop,we drank alot of tea
    and water, I quit smoking which saved almost $100 a month,(this was tough especially with
    the bills being as such) but I feel better
    health wise because of it. My wife worked some overtime, so it was alot of working together as a family. And since the kids
    were so great through it all this fall we are taking them to disney world this fall.
    We were amazed at how much we saved on food by watching the paper for sales at different stores.

3. Doris K.

Doris K. Well-Known Member

Gosh, I remember those baloney and crackers and mayonaise sandwich days. When you have no choice but to cut every possible corner, you learn how to save, and you get a good concept of what's necessary and what's not.

After ditching that old fart I was married to for 46 years, I've found myself in better financial shape than ever. Still, it took lots of work and very hard-to-come-by self-discipline. I still maked damned sure those coupons are clipped and all sales flyers are combed through. Every single nickel counts! If you don't believe me, just look at how fast your money goes when the bank takes a nickel here and a dime there. It adds up FAST!

Although I'm now retired, I put in as many hours now as I did when I worked full-time. It's so tempting sometimes to kick back on the couch and forget about putting in all the extra time to save a few pennies. Then again, I must realize that I'm constantly surrounded by grandchildren, and I'm doing my best to set an example for them.

Bob, whether you realize it or not, you've probably taught your kids some of the best lessons they'll ever learn--being responsible, saving, and pulling together. The best part is that they are seeing that the hard work has paid off. The trip to Disney World will be so much more enjoyable because everyone did his/her part to earn it.

4. Donna

Donna Well-Known Member

Boy, when the student is ready, the teachers appear!

I'm going out on my own for the first time at the tender young age of 48. Doris, Bob, I would appreciate any suggestions/advice if you'd care to e-mail me privately.

Also, am close to being out of the clutches of CCB! My account will be paid in full by September!

5. David

David Well-Known Member

Bob,

Thanks for your response. You're a remarkable guy, easy to admire. I wish my father had your habits of self discipline and responsibility.

David

BOB wrote:
    -------------------------------
    David, The we ate alot of beans line was
    a statement to say we ate cheaply, hamburgers, beans, etc. We didn't starve,
    we have 2 kids and our grocery bill was approx. $75 a week. You can do it if you shop smart,use coupons and cut out somethings like pop,we drank alot of tea
    and water, I quit smoking which saved almost $100 a month,(this was tough especially with
    the bills being as such) but I feel better
    health wise because of it. My wife worked some overtime, so it was alot of working together as a family. And since the kids
    were so great through it all this fall we are taking them to disney world this fall.
    We were amazed at how much we saved on food by watching the paper for sales at different stores.

6. BOB

BOB Guest

Thanks for all the kind words, I showed all this to my kids, and I think they have a better understanding of what we accomplished the last few years, and how important it was.
    I want to thank all of you for the kind words, but I MUST SAY THIS, IT TOOK THE WHOLE FAMILY TO GET IT DONE. Otherwise we
    would never have got it accomplished. It is
    truly amazing what a family can do when they
    pull together. Again thanks' your posts helped my kids to really see what we did
    was worth it.
    God Bless You All
    BOB&bg