Bottom Line on Citibank.......

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Chet, Oct 28, 2000.

1. Chet

Chet Well-Known Member

I was out of town yesterday, so I didn't have an opportunity to respond to all of the great post on the *Limited* success at Citibank (like 4 pages back).

I am *voluntarily* paying back Citibank. They still had my accounts in their internal databanks from 1992. They did not ask me for anything, nor initiate any type of agreement to pay them back. I suggested paying them back.

My life is in a much different place now, than in 1992. I can *easily* afford to pay them back, and besides that - I do feel obligated.

They loaned me the money and I never paid them. Now I want to return to Citibank what they loaned me. (That's the bottom line!)

Citibank is a very large bank. Who knows what cards my company may want me to carry for business in the future (Diners Club maybe). And who knows what bank Citibank may merge with in the future. I am only 36 years old, and I do not want to alienate myself from Citibank for the rest of my life because of this old debt.

I can afford to pay so I'm paying!

chet

2. roni

roni Well-Known Member

RE: Bottom Line on Citibank...

And with that, enough said. I hope! Good Luck Chet.

3. Chet

Chet Well-Known Member

Clarification..

The rep at Citibank gave me my old account numbers and said that if I wanted to pay on the accounts (I had 2 Citibank cards), just send in a check with a notation to apply this amount towards this account number. And when the accounts are paid down to 0, it will show in their database that the accounts have a 0 balance.

They did not "set me up on a payment plan".

Sorry if that was misleading to anyone.

chet :)>B)

4. Cadillac408

Cadillac408 Well-Known Member

Just curious....

I'm assuming that your doing this to get back in the good graces w/ Citibank. Let me play devils advocate here for a minute.

You are under the impression that after the balances are paid off, that they will issue you a card, right? Let me re read your post and the responses......hang on....

O.k.....you stated that once the balaces were paid, that they would issue you a card. This is interesting.....did you get it in writing? Because I bet you anything that as soon as you re pay them and you re apply, that they might do a 180 and say, thanks for your application, but no thanks.....we don't want you as a customer (basically). Then go on to state some b.s. reason why they denied you credit.

So, what's going to happen when you don't get a card after all? Are you just willing to take that chance? Your basically re paying them just to get another account.

"They loaned me the money and I never paid them. Now I want to return to Citibank what they loaned me. (That's the bottom line!)"

Touching statement but come on....if this were true, Citibank would of gotten their money by now (you've had 8 years to repay!).

I'm not trying to rain on your parade but Citibank IS NOT ALL THAT! Don't jump on the band wagon because everyone else has. Do what's best for you. If everyone was on BofA's jock, would you be trying to re pay Citibank? Probably not.

Please don't take this the wrong way, I'm still on YOUR team as we are all pretty much in the same boat. I'm just expressing my opinion. Boy I hope I don't get hate mail for this one!

5. Pat

Pat Guest

Citibank broke the law

Citibank broke the law by accepting your payment without the written permission of the bankruptcy judge. It does not matter that you initiated it. You could get a lawyer, and walk away with 2/3 of a settlement without ever setting foot in a courtroom.

That doesn't mean you should do so. That is your choice.

However, let's at least be clear on what the law is.

6. Cadillac408

Your right Pat, but....

It doesn't matter now. Chet just wants a card from them so....

I only think that the legal stuff will take effect if Citibank decides not to issue Chet a card after re paying them.

7. Crdt Dfnse

Crdt Dfnse Well-Known Member

Yes, Pat, Letâ??s Be VERY Clear?

Pat:
    Since youâ??re soooo insistent about this issue (Iâ??ve got to give you credit for dogmatism), perhaps you could share with us the precise (and I donâ??t mean theoretical) basis for your statements? Please understand Iâ??m not aiming to be antagonistic here, because given your persistence Iâ??d like to see if youâ??re on to something.

From my experience (dealing with close to 1,200 creditors nationally) a creditor CAN (and very often does) â??acceptâ? voluntary repayment after discharge, and Iâ??m not talking a small percentage. But hay, maybe you know something they (or for that matter I) are not aware of?

So never let it be said us old-dogs canâ??t (or arenâ??t open to) learn a new trick. ;)

Keep The Faith,
    Anthony Villaseñor

8. Saar

Saar Banned

RE: Citibank broke the law

Citibank broke no law. Since no agreement of any kind was reached between the parties, there is nothing here that is subject to approval of the court.

If he does end up paying them, it won't be a product of an of an agreement.

He has not commited to pay the debt, and they didn't try to collect it. They do, however, have every right to avoid lending more money to delinquent debtors, even if these debtors are protected by bankruptcy law.

In practical terms, Chet is doing the right thing.

Saar

9. pauly

pauly Guest

RE: chet are you nuts!

Do you really think that citibank gives a rats ass about you getting back in their good graces.They have millions of customers world wide.You would serve a much better service to mankind if you gave what you owe citibank to some worthwhile charity or homeless shelter!Citi bank is nothing but a greed ridin company that shows no mercy to their customers who fall on hard times.The way you write about citi bank you would think their the only bank in the world.Come on chet get real.

10. kristi

kristi Guest

CitiBank Violated NO laws by accepting a voluntary payment plan outside a court reaffirmation. The BK is old and discharged so the automatic stay is up and the only violation here would be a violation of the BK discharge which would only count if They asked for or persued payment. He can voluntary pay them if he wants just as long as Citibank never ever bills or dunns him for the old debt or tries to make a new contract from the old debt.

I know because I deal with this topic ALOT and from my latest seminar with the law ofices of Eric North, we went into to great detail about the difference between voluntary payments and illegal reaffirmations.

pauly wrote:
    -------------------------------
    Do you really think that citibank gives a rats ass about you getting back in their good graces.They have millions of customers world wide.You would serve a much better service to mankind if you gave what you owe citibank to some worthwhile charity or homeless shelter!Citi bank is nothing but a greed ridin company that shows no mercy to their customers who fall on hard times.The way you write about citi bank you would think their the only bank in the world.Come on chet get real.

11. kristi

kristi Guest

I meant for this post to go under Pats reply not pauly....

12. Eboni

Eboni Guest

Your Setting Yourself Up

Citibank is in no way obligated to give you a card after you pay this money. If you are willing to pay a debt you are not legally liable for then, good for you.

I just hope aren't doing this for the sole purpose of getting another card with them. I wouldn't be suprised at all if they turn you down for a card on some other reason.

Just watch your back.

13. John Debto

John Debto Guest

It might be interesting to know how much money you are talking about here.

14. JP

JP Guest

I applaud your efforts in this case.

Regards,
    JP

15. Chuck R.

Chuck R. Guest

RE: Yes, Pat, Letâ??s Be VERY Cl

I've been attending law school for two years and working as a paralegal in a law firm for nearly seven.
    The bankruptcy laws require you to list all your creditors on the schedules.
    Once your debts are discharged, you are free to pay any creditor what you owe.
    Citibank broke no law as they did not attempt to collect a discharged debt.
    Chet has voluntarily chosen to repay them.
    I can't count the number of clients who choose to repay one or more of the debts discharged in bankruptcy.
    It is done all the time.
    There is no basis for a suit against Citibank for trying to collect a discharged debt.
    That is patently ridiculous and any experienced bankruptcy attorney will tell you so.
    Watch out for law students. A little knowledge mixed with misinterpretation and a dash of ego is very dangerous:)

16. Crdt Dfnse

Crdt Dfnse Well-Known Member

In All Fairness

Chuck:
    Hay for what itâ??s worth I tend to agree with most of your statement, but like to give folks the benefit of doubt. That is especially when one is so insistent as Pat has been, which has been (for me at least) persuasive enough to keep an open mind.

Sure Pat has been way out there in a few instances but I have to tell you, heâ??s mostly got a pretty keen eye for the law. You see the thing I like most about Patâ??s posts is that he causes one to think, sometimes in a provocative way. He has a knack for finding obscure stuff and relating it in some rather unique ways. This after all can be a good thing, depending on oneâ??s perspectives.

FYI (everyone) Pat has emailed me some cites Iâ??ll be researching soon, in response to my post (above) in this thread.

Keep The Faith,
    Anthony Villaseñor
    CreditDefenses.com

17. Chet

Chet Well-Known Member

~$4,500

18. marvin

marvin Well-Known Member

Just wondering if this would b

If chet wants to pay the debt, and Citi Bank is willing to give chet another card if it's paid, would it be legal for Citi Bank to issue him a card with a 4500 credit limit, and charge the remaining balance to the card? This would solve everyone's problem, and everyone would get what they want.

19. Cadillac408

WHAT!?!?!?

You're TRIPPIN!

Since you're doing some twisted act of kindness, is anyone else that you listed in your BK getting their money back?

20. Cadillac408

I'm sorry Chet...

Disregard what I just said.....my bad! Sorry...

I guess I wasn't looking at it from your point of view.......sorry!