Boy did I get a scam in the mail!

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by DaveLV, Jun 11, 2001.

1. DaveLV

DaveLV Well-Known Member

I got a mailing today from "Preferred Cardholder Division, New VISA and MasterCard Accounts Department". The outside of the mailer is like one of those security envelopes an ATM PIN might come in that you have to tear open on the side and slide out the contents.

On the front it says "A New VISA or MasterCard is reserved for:" and then my name and address. Inside is a check for $3.25. To cash it, they want you to put your credit card number on the back and sign the check. When you do, you are signing up for their credit card registration service for $74.96 a year with automatic renewals.

Reading the fine print, after you sign up for their card registry service you will get an APPLICATION for a visa or mastercard which "Our records indicate that there is no savings account or security deposit required as a condition of receiving your new card."

This website has a picture of the same "check" I got: http://u2.netgate.net/~docbob/checkscam.html

Strange though that if this guy cashed his check, he'd get 84 months of service for the same price I'd pay for a year. :)

I wonder what they would do if I cashed their check without putting a credit card number on it?

2. DaveLV

DaveLV Well-Known Member

3. DaveLV

DaveLV Well-Known Member

Geez, look at the discription given for this mailing list!

Description:
    "Looking For Credit" is filled with consumers who tried to purchase a credit repair package via a telemarketing sales call. They paid for the credit repair package with a $149.00 check draft, however, the transaction did not clear. The Looking For Credit file offers an excellent opportunity to reach individuals trying to re-establish their credit. They are great prospects for all credit offers, low-end general merchandise, contests, lotteries, book and CD clubs, insurance, sweepstakes and more!!!

4. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

CLICKED ON WEB BASED...DOESN'T WORK...

5. DaveLV

DaveLV Well-Known Member

Worked for me just now: Here's the description for the "web based credit repair" list:

Description:
    These highly responsive credit card seekers are actively working on their credit repair. After searching the web, they responded to a credit repair offer, spent time and money trying to restore their credit. These consumers are actively seeking credit and credit related offers and are extremely responsive to other direct mail/telemarketing programs.

6. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

NETSCAPE DIDN'T WORK, SO I DID M/S IE...WORKED...

7. Nave

Nave Well-Known Member

Minimum 5,000
    Source:
    Internet Generated
    Unit Of Sale:
    $99.95
    Female 45%

And I feel like a number.

8. DaveLV

DaveLV Well-Known Member

OMG: Check this one out!!

Description:
    These individuals responded to a Psychic Power Infomercial to find out how to receive credit help. With their first call they received the first 15 minutes of advice for free, and qualified for a credit card with a limit of $500 to $600. These individuals paid a $49.95 processing fee, paid for by Debit Card over the phone or by Check/Money Order by mail. The callers continued to receive additional psychic advice for a $10 per month fee.

And look who uses this list!!

Continuation Usage:
    Consumer Advantage
    Credicorp, Inc.

DTS
    First Premier Bank

Galaxy Communications
    Midwest Card Services

National Bankcard Applicants
    National Magazine Exchange

Physicians Mutual Insurance Co.

Hehehe.. First Premier Bank and Credicorp!!! :)

9. Nave

Nave Well-Known Member

Sheeeeesh. That's hillarious...Everyone knows you don't get real psychic credit advice over the phone, you have to use the CB radio - channel 15 ask for Tszaza Goosh :) LOL

10. heather

heather Well-Known Member

Dave, I also got one of those in the mail today, pitched it right in the trash.