British credit...interesting.

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Hope, Aug 31, 2001.

1. Hope

Hope Well-Known Member

Have a look at this article in the London Times. Boy, it warms my heart about the US system! But once again Experian and Equifax are the culprits. They don't have TU over there.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/0,,223-61189,00.html

WHY MIGHT I HAVE A TARNISHED CREDIT RECORD?
    "...Another problem is living in a household with a poor credit record. Lenders will typically look at the addresses where you have lived for the past six years. They are entitled to take into account the credit histories of people living at those addresses with the same surname as you. They may also take into account whether you have moved around a lot and whether you are actually registered on the electoral roll or not..."

2. sam

sam Well-Known Member

wow sucks to be a limey...

3. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

Hope,

Those folks need some consumer oriented websites!!

4. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

brutal - I like it Sam!

arooo - dogman

5. bbauer

bbauer Banned

Hope:
    It's easy to see that while the statements may be true, there is a lot more behind the scenes than meets the eye in the mainstream press which can always be counted on to present the mainstream views that the political powers want to have spread about the populace.

We cannot get all that much of a handle on what is happening in other courtries such as Canada or Britain or other countries because we are not familiar with many of their erms and where to look for informatin on their websites. You have to stumble into them.

There is a lot more going on behind the scenes than what meets the eye as usual.

6. Hal

Hal Well-Known Member

I read somewhere that two of the Big 3 CRA's are actually owned by british corporations. This was something I came across a long time ago, I'll have to try and find it again.

7. bbauer

bbauer Banned

Hal:

I will confirm that. I have seen it in print too, although like you, I cannot remember where.
    If memory serves me correctly, two are British owed and one is Dutch owned. I posted that a long time ago and caught a lot of flak over my post because nobody seemed to want to believe what I had posted. Oh Well!

Hope you find it.

8. Surphie

Surphie Well-Known Member

About Equifax and according to Equifax Canada:

Equifax: A World of Information
    Founded in 1899 in Atlanta, Georgia, Equifax is a world leader in shaping global commerce. We have operations in 17 countries with sales in nearly 50 countries. We are the leader in providing consumer credit information in the United States, and consumer and commercial credit information in Chile, Argentina, the United Kingdom, Spain, Portugal, Canada, Peru, El Salvador and Italia. We are the second leading provider of this information in Brazil. Equifax also leads the full-service credit card processing industry for credit unions and community banks in the United States.
    Our long history in enabling commerce around the world positions Equifax well to develop those products and services that meet the challenges of globalization and the increasing impact of e-commerce.
    The Equifax world of information is at your fingertips. Visit our international web sites to discover how we can help your business perform better.
    Equifax around the world

http://www.equifax.com/EFX_Canada/international_solutions/index.html

9. supershawn

supershawn Well-Known Member

Yes and no.....here's some interesting junk....

<b>EXPERIAN</b>
    Great Universal Stores of England owns TRW/EXPERIAN. They are a British clothier that also owns 'Burberry's of London'.

North American Headquarters
    505 City Parkway West
    Orange, CA 92868
    714 385 7000

National Consumer Assistance Center
    PO Box 2002
    Allen, TX 75013
    Consumer Credit Questions
    888 EXPERIAN (888 397 3742)

Craig Smith, chief executive officer

Jim Antal, global chief financial officer and North America chief of staff

Tom Newkirk, chairman

Donald Robert, president, Information Solutions

Peg Smith, president, Strategic Business Development

Scot Thomas, chief executive officer, Marketing Solutions

Experian employs more than 6,500 people in North America.

Experian North America's annual sales are in excess of $1 billion.

Experian's North America databases contain more than 65 terabytes (65 trillion bytes) of data.

Experian maintains credit information on approximately 205 million U.S. consumers and 14 million U.S. businesses.

Experian maintains demographic information on approximately 215 million consumers in 110 million households across the United States.

Experian ships nearly 2 billion pieces of mail annually from its mail processing centers.

<b>TRANS UNION</b>
    TRANS UNION is based out of Chicago and is part of The Marmon Group, the 20th largest private company in the United States.

Companies that Trans Union International is affiliated with include, but are not limited to:

Trans Union of Canada, Inc.
    Clegg Campus Marketing Ltd. (Canada)
    Trans Union de Mexico, S.A. (Buro de Credito)
    Mega Direct (Mexico)
    Trans Union España Credit Bureau, S.L. (Spain)
    Information Trust Corporation (Proprietary) Limited (South Africa)
    Hire Purchase Information (Proprietary) Limited (South Africa)
    Business Data Interchange (Proprietary) Limited (Kenya)
    Reisgo Cero S.A. (Peru)
    Credit Information Services Limited (Hong Kong)

<b>EQUIFAX</b>
    1550 Peachtree Street, NW, P.O. Box 4081
    Atlanta, GA 30309
    Phone: (404) 885-8000
    Fax: (404) 885-8682
    Employees (last reported count): 12,200

Officers, Age, Title, FY2000 Pay

Thomas Chapman, 57
    Chairman, CEO $943K

Lee Kennedy, 50
    Pres, COO, Director $613K

Phillip Mazzilli, 60
    CFO, Exec. VP $1.1M

William Catucci, 62
    Exec. VP - The Americas $467K

C. Richard Crutchfield, 53
    Exec. VP - Europe, Asia Pacific and Internet

Can't find the 'owner' of the corporation, but they are also heavy into lottery operations with GTECH out of RI......I guess they REALLY enjoy screwing people over.