CA not licensed in IL.good for me?

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Gai-jin, Sep 19, 2003.

1. Gai-jin

Gai-jin Well-Known Member

I have a CA reporting to TU for an old phone bill. The phone bill was in TX. I now reside in IL. If the CA isn't licensed in IL, does that benefit me in any fashion?

Not sure whether this CA has contacted me or not.

Gai-jin

2. lbrown59

lbrown59 Well-Known Member

DID U SEND THE V.L. to CA ?

3. Gai-jin

I have not. At this point I just want to Know where I stand first, before taking action on my Out of State ca's. I actually have at least 2 CA's that are Small agencies in a state where I once lived.
    I would assume they can continue reporting to CRA's even though I no longer live in that state, Correct?
    Do I get some advantage out of this situation?

Gai -jin

4. lbrown59

lbrown59 Well-Known Member

Re: Re: CA not licensed in IL.good for me?

1*You need to
    2*
    3*That is correct.
    4*Out of what situation?
    Not sure i get the question.

5. Gai-jin

I was just curious as to whether the collector being out of state, and not licensed in IL gave me any kind of advantage, or if I should change how I do things as a result of them not being licensed here.

Gai-jin

6. Why Chat

Why Chat Well-Known Member

You can send a cease and desist/ validation/dispute letter to the CA, and include a phrase that states that they are not authorized to have any collection activities in Ill., IF they do ot fulfil the Ill. requirements for out of State CA's.

ILLINOIS
    COLLECTION AGENCY BOND & LICENSE
    Bond: $25,000
    License: Yes
    Fee:
    $750 - Original
    $750 - Renewal

Exemption for out-of-state collectors:

Out-of-state collectors may be exempt if

[1] not soliciting accounts in Illinois;

[2] their state of residence has laws which provide similar reciprocity (allow out-of-state agencies to collect only); and

[3] the state in which the non-Illinois agency resides extends the same privileges to out-of-state agencies.