CA or CRA to validate/verify

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Chris B, Apr 11, 2001.

  1. Chris B

    Chris B Guest

    Am I better off sending a validation letter to the Collection Agency who's written me demanding payment of a debt, or sending the CRA's dispute / verify type letters?

    I've been reading through these posts for a few weeks (newbie) but really want to get my credit cleaned up so I can buy a house.

  2. jshimmer

    jshimmer Well-Known Member

    Re: CA or CRA to validate/veri

    You would write to the CRA(s) in the event that you want to dispute a trade line or collection item on your credit report(s). Remember, you have three credit histories, one each at TU, Experian and Equifax. Each dispute should focus specifically to the CRA(s) that you're trying to get 'fixed'. The CRAs, in turn, are required to verify the debt's accuracy, update your report (if applicable) and send you a new copy of the report.

    You CAN write to the collection agency, but there's no guarantee that they'll do anything regarding your tradeline on your credit report(s) without proding from the CRA. If it's not a valid debt, you write to the collection agency to notify them that it's valid (with the specific reason), and you also write 'cease and decist' letters to them, which tell them not to write you, call you or otherwise contact you unless it's to inform you that they are updating the status of the debt (i.e., they dropped it, they're proceeding within the law to attempt to collect the debt, etc.). Basically, it's a 'quit hassling me' letter. But if you DO write them, and they DO agree it's not your debt, they have the power to update your credit reports (they PUT the item on your report, they can update it or take it off).

Share This Page