Cable Bill - PFD?, Attempt to pay OC?

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by dolleprod, Nov 11, 2013.

1. dolleprod

dolleprod Active Member

Back again...

I have a cable bill on my report I need to do something about (I am trying to apply for a mortgage). The CA is CreditMgmt out of CarroltonTX. Is this the same CMI I have seen referred to around here?

Details
    Amount: $375
    Date: 07/10
    My states SOL is 5 yrs.

Help.

Is there a strategy that is more useful for cable bills/ CMI accounts? I vacated a home where the cable was in my name and like an idiot didn't think to turn it off and ex-roomates enjoyed it until it shut off. Do I bother with DV letter?

PFD? How do I guarantee that they will remove it after I pay? Is there a letter that they will send me which I can present to CRA's holding them to it?

My biggest fear is that it will be marked as a "paid" account, but will be re-aged! I want to make sure it goes bye-by and not recycled.

I have heard that (instead of PFD with CA) people have just somehow tried to slide the payment to the OC (cable co) and after you have a receipt, they must delete? ?? ???

Please help with a strategy. IDC, I'll pay it and then beat up my "friends" if I ever see them for this. But I just need it gone. It is the only derogatory on my file within SOL, therefore the one I need help with.

MindCrime still around?

2. mindcrime

mindcrime Well-Known Member

How old is the account? Do you know if the cable company still owns the debt? (May be able to tell by a LTR sent by the CA, or how it's reporting)

Depending on whether the debt is still owned by the OC will greatly affect your ability to "slide the payment" to the OC. If it's sold, there's simply no chance. If it's assigned, then it *may* be possible, but just paying it to them won't guarantee removal of the CA account. It would likely just guarantee a Paid collection. I would start with contacting the OC and verifying ownership. As long as the OC still retains it, you may be able to work a deal with them, but don't expect a CSR to be able to cut you one, let alone enforce it.

One option you could try is claiming ignorance. Something to the effect of you moved away, (and you'll need to be able to prove you in-fact moved during this timeframe) and had requested the service cancelled, and had no idea it was still active. With proof that you had changed your address at that time and established residence elsewhere, you may be able to goodwill them into taking your money and recalling the debt from the CA.

The PFD letter you're referring to would go to the CA if that is who you are forced to work with. It's a contract where an authorized rep would sign it in exchange for payment and they would delete the reporting of the account.

3. mechanicw

mechanicw Well-Known Member

Credit repair!

Google whychat guidebook read it and understand it then

Step1 opt out

Step 2 delete old addresses

Step 3 send dv letter and verify they have current relationship!

4. dolleprod

dolleprod Active Member

TL;DR: Cable co. said I could pay them directly, but no guarantees of a removal, possibly just updated as paid. Should I contact CA instead then, and ask for PFD with them?

3.5 yrs. And I don't know about the technicalities of who owns the debt, but CMI is who is listed on my report.

Oh, well then I guess it is "assigned" because I went ahead and just "went for it" and called the cable co. directly. She said I could pay them directly.

Yes, that! The CSR wasn't much help other than letting me know I could pay it with them..

That is pretty much the true situation. I just don't know how I could prove that. It's been a while. And I have nothing to the effect that I cancelled the service. Even though I'm sure I did that. Well... I can't be too sure.. :/

I don't know who to work with at this point.. the CA or OC.. On one hand, if I can pay the OC directly I am reading a bunch of stuff[/URL] that the CA MUST remove it.

I do not not know with absolute certainty that is the case and what if the cable co. just notifies the CA and then they just update it to "paid". I don't want that. I'd just as soon not pay it at all if it's not going to disappear. And also, I believe it that were the case that it would re-cycle and appear on my report for another 7 yrs, even though showing paid.

So, on the other hand I wonder if I should just contact the CA since I will be more likely to get a PFD document from them, and maybe even settle for less...

Thanks man, sorry for the long winded reply. Just typing all my thoughts out...

5. mindcrime

PFD will be harder with 1.5 to go on the SOL.

Most people who cancel their cable do not have any real formal written documentation. Basically, we call the cable co., ask the CSR to cancel, and that's that. So, I wouldn't let that little detail worry you. You can prove you lived somewhere else, correct?

Who said that?

No, paying off the debt in full does not restart the clock. But, yes, just paying the cable company could end in a paid collection.

I suggest trying to work with the OC first. CSR's won't get you anywhere. Start googling for executive level personnel e-mail contact info. Tell your story, include proof, and ask for a recalling of the account in exchange for full payment (or you can try for a %, but chances are better for full cooperation if you offer full). IF this gets you no where, then start PFD'ing the CA. Since you're in a time crunch with trying to obtain a mortgage, going through validation may not work, especially if you're not prepared to put up a fight that you moved and you canceled the service.

6. dolleprod

dolleprod Active Member

:(
    I can't even think of a way I could prove it? I don't have any mail saved that shows it was addressed to me at the home I moved into with my fiance. I can't find any document, I never thought I would have had to have saved something. I thought about my drivers license, but I don't know how I could get a verification of when I changed the address on it. I just can't think of anything to prove I moved while the service was still on.

Well, some other research I was doing. Check this thread. Post#11.
    Nothing concrete... But I came across people saying that a couple times during research.

I really don't know why I thought that? Paying an installment would restart the clock? I really thought I came across something that said for some type of accounts any "activity" restarts that clock. Revolving accounts maybe?

I just did check for some exec level personnel email contact info. I'll try.. This page says, straight to the president(s office)? I will explain and see what they might do. I'm really feeling like I am going to have to pay the account to get a mortgage and wind up with a "paid collection". But, hey, it should increase the score a little correct? And it will still fall off in 3.5yrs if I pay right?

You're right, I'm worried about the time it takes for the regular DV and dispute method. Plus, I'm thinking they will almost certainly "validate" it even if I did go through that effort. I can't see the cable company and CMIjust caving in and not "validating". Ya know.. But if the cable company exec even responds to me I'll start there. Then I'll call(? dont want to write because of timeframe) the CA and ask about a PFD letter. Think it's possible within the SOL? If I make any sort of contact with them at all would they step up their collections efforts on me?

7. mindcrime

If you updated your DL when you moved, would you have a letter from the state? Old CC statements?

That poster is wrong. A CA CAN accurately and legally report the debt as paid if it's paid off. This is setting aside logistics of validation procedure.

Neither. IF the consumer makes a partial payment on the debt, then defaults again, THEN the clock restarts. It's based on the DOFD that ultimately leads to the C/O. Paying off an old debt couldn't "lead" to any C/O, bc it's paid.

Won't really do much to help your score, paid or not. Paid is just better on manual reviews, and the mortgage company will require this paid. Yes, the original drop date won't change. But considering your unique situation (with the move and all), you may very well get to someone who will work with you.

My thought on the DV was they'd fail by sending you screen shots thereby not properly validating and at the same time, you disputing the debt and watching them shoot themselves in the foot with a violation or two. But setting that aside for now...I wouldn't be too concerned with any collection efforts being stepped up. You're apparently in a position to pay this off in full, and they either agree to a PFD or not. That and this being a relatively small debt, they're not going to be "pulling out all the stops" to get you.