Can a collection atty do this?

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Thundabird, Aug 28, 2003.

  1. Thundabird

    Thundabird Member

    Can a collection atty who is admitted to the bars of New York and Washington (Mitchell N. Kay) try to collect a debt from me in California if he is not admitted to the California bar?

    If not, anyone know where I can get the backup to prove it?

    Thanks, all.
  2. Flyingifr

    Flyingifr Well-Known Member

    He can send you collection letters in his capacity as a Debt Collector. As far as suit is concerned, he would probably have to either farm it out to a CA admitted attorney OR petition the Court for Ad Hoc Vice status (sorta like a visiting attorney). The third option would be for Kay to have on his staff an attorney who IS admitted in CA, then THAT attorney would sue.

Share This Page