Can Collection agency change y

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Elizabeth, Feb 23, 2001.

1. Elizabeth

Elizabeth Guest

I am reposting this question from a previous thread. Would appreciate any insight.

Does the collection agency have the power/ability to change the original company's records on the credit report? How about the reverse...if I was to settle with the original company(Providian, etc., can they remove any listings on my credit report that have been posted by the collection agency?

2. john

john Well-Known Member

RE: Can Collection agency chan

If Providian sold the account the collection agency can change it to reflect the interest and late payments.
    If they are just collecting they can only report what Providian provided them.

John

3. Elizabeth

Elizabeth Guest

Negotiating for Paid in Full

So if they sold the account to this collection agency and I am negotiating for Paid in Full or Paid as Agreed status with no derogs then the collection agency can make this change????

4. roni

roni Well-Known Member

No.

Only accept "paid as agreed" with no negatives. Paid in full is not worth it. OR DEletion. Always ask for deletion.

roni

5. lbrown59

lbrown59 Well-Known Member

RE: No.

roni wrote:
    -------------------------------
    Only accept "paid as agreed" with no negatives. Paid in full is not worth it. OR DEletion. Always ask for deletion.

roni

6. roni

roni Well-Known Member

Because....

if you get it changed to "paid as agreed" you get a positive added to your report. Deleted a negative is good, but this way you kill two birds with one stone.

roni

7. John Shimm

John Shimm Guest

> Some thing like this should always be
    > deleated! Why should the creditor get paid
    > while the consumer is screwed with a bad
    > report ??

That's an ignorant question. Why should the creditor get paid? Because you borrowed the money under the agreement to repay it, that's why. Why should they NOT delete the item? Because it's ACCURATE information -- you borrowed money, you did NOT fulfill your agreement - paying it back 2-3-4 years later, AFTER it's gone deliquent/to collection/charged off/etc. does NOT constitute "PAID AS AGREED".

It's the responsibility of the CRA to maintain ACCURATE information. You borrow money and don't repay it according to the terms, it's YOUR OWN fault that your credit history is screwed, not the CRA or the creditor. You screwed YOURSELF.

8. LKH

LKH Well-Known Member

John, I usually agree with you but I think you're all wet on this. You say "You screwed Yourself" - sometimes things beyond someones control can happen like illness, car accident or unemployment. Does that mean they screwed themselves? I don't think so. If something along those lines happened and the debtor is back on their feet in 2 years and decides to do the honorable thing and pay, should they be screwed for another 7 years? Again, I don't think so.