can i backdate ck to 120 days

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by jason, Apr 26, 2001.

1. jason

jason Well-Known Member

i have an old collection that was is like 3 years old.
    the collection company has never reported to the bureaus that it is in "collections" ...instead they have kept it as "120+ days late" status. which from what i understand is better than collection status.
    my question is:
    can i send them a check that is backdated 2 years and pay the account. then goto the bureaus with my cashed check and say "i paid this before the 120 days... it was never late .... please correct my report"

will this work ....or am i better off paying it and reporting it to the bureaus as if it's a mistake and it was not my account in the first place.

2. Erica

Erica Well-Known Member

Re: can i backdate ck to 120 d

Even if you backdate the check, the check is only good for 90 days from the date of issuance. So even if you tried to do this, it would probably backfire. Also, the check with a date of 2 years ago would have an endorsement date of this year. Wouldn't that look suspicious to you as a Credit Bureau rep?

Erica

3. lbrown59

lbrown59 Well-Known Member

Author: Erica (roc-24-93-8-183.rochester.rr.com)
    Date: 04-26-01 11:41

. Also, the check with a date of 2 years ago would have an endorsement date of this year. Wouldn't that look suspicious to you as a Credit Bureau rep?
    Erica-------------------------------------
    Reply To Message ===Not when the check wasn't presented for payment for 2 years!

4. Concerned

Concerned Well-Known Member

Erica-
    No disrespect but I think you are mistaken here. The ninety days only applies if it is explicitly written on the face of the check. The standard at most banks is a year from date of issuance.

5. Erica

Erica Well-Known Member

Concerned,

Maybe I was thinking of paychecks, but you are probably right. Sorry for the confusion. The rest of my post still stands.

Erica

6. bummer

bummer Guest

Nope - you're right - it is a year...........
    Bank won't cash anything older than a year.......however..........if you want to play nasty......
    date the check for what ever you want....... the next part is illegal, but you could run a postage meter back to the same date as check if you have access and post date envelope too................. but know it is a federal offense. Leave off the return address, it would arrive at company postage due too! Anybody remember what a stamp cost in 1999? They would either contact you for a new check - or change the date and cash it - either way you get what you want from the company - don't you? good luck