Can I make creditors stop pull

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by me, Sep 29, 2000.

1. me

me Well-Known Member

There are a handful of creditors whom I do not have accounts with that continue to pull my credit report (obviously increasing the number of inquiries). Even the lender I am working with needs me to write an explanation that I have received no new credit as a result of all the inquiries.

Some of these companies I have not heard of, or am not even interested in the products, But for the last 7-8 months, they keep pulling my report.

Providian is one of them. I wrote them a letter, and they agreed to remove their 7 inquiries. But then I got an updated copy of my reports, and they had made more inquiries!

It was suggested that I have a fraud alert put on my file, but what impact will that have? Will lenders look at me negatively if there is a fraud alert?

2. Crdt Dfnse

Crdt Dfnse Well-Known Member

Depends On The Lender

me wrote:
    -------------------------------
    Will lenders look at me negatively if there is a fraud alert?

Me:
    Iâ??d run this by your mortgage person because he/she may have a certain lender in mind for submission, considering youâ??re going conventional. You see itâ??s a subjective call because some mortgage lenders will except your explanation, while others will want to direct-check and investigate before funding. If the latter happens it is a time consuming effort, whereas a DC is done with each and every inquiry.

Although if you havenâ??t opened escrow or there is plenty of time before it closes, then you may not have a problem with time constraints. Nonetheless, fraud hawks are generally placed when there is a reason to believe someone is attempting ID theft (which may be the case). Again, the safest bet is to check with your mortgage people and give them the heads-up.

Okay I know that sounds like a cop-out. However the fact is your mortgage folks should have a strategy in mind as to where to book the deal, and if you do something without their knowledge it could kink the plan. But hay, if they donâ??t object to the alert chances are the target lender wonâ??t either. Yet placing the alert should be their call, because you want the loan funded not delayed after all. :)

Keep The Faith,
    Anthony Villaseñor

3. me

me Well-Known Member

RE: Can I make creditors stop

There are 22 inquiries on my reports since July. I am getting quite irritated by these inquiries. There are about 100 since march (these numbers are from all three reports totaled)

Some are from places I've never heard of. Some are from sub-prime companies I've read discussions about on this board (such as Direct Merchants, Aspire, etc.) I have not applied for accounts from any of these, nor do I have any desire for an account from these people (all of my accounts are prime accounts, I don't need or want any subprime accounts)

What can I do to make this stop happening?? I applied for a credit line increase from a couple of my cards, but of course I was denied because of the number of recent inquiries!

4. Tom

Tom Guest

I requested line increase for Nextcard and Amex,they didn't pull credit report.

5. Michael

Michael Guest

Are you sure that the inquiries are all from hard inqs.

You should look at the top of the section and it may state that these inquiries were done for marketing purposes to extend offers to you and only you will see them!

6. me

me Well-Known Member

Yes, they are hard inquiries!

7. Michael

Michael Guest

If that is the case I would be writing to the creditor, demanding answers, disputing the inquiries, put a fraud alert on your file, and also send notice to both creditor, and bureau to stop pulling or you will file charges in court

8. me

me Well-Known Member

That's why I was asking if a lender would look negatively at my report is there was a a fraud alert placed on my file?

I have sent letters to most of the creditors that I could find addresses to. Most of the addresses were PO Boxes. Can you send certified mail to PO Boxes?

9. Michael

Michael Guest

Of course!

10. miles

miles Well-Known Member

I am not 100% sure if lenders would look negatively at this, but a fraud alert would stop you from applying for instant credit.