Can I offer to settle a judgement?

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by OtherTerri, Mar 11, 2002.

1. OtherTerri

OtherTerri Well-Known Member

Settled Today

I paid the judgment today. When I checked it online, it showed as $2464 plus court costs and interest. Earlier this month, before I sent the letter offering to settle, I looked up this company and their attorney in the court refcords. It was clear they do not mess around; they had several judgments against people. Some were for as little as $200.

So, I was not really expecting that they would take my offer, only hoping!!

When the attorney called today, he said the actual total was over $3200 with the interest and court costs. But, I could set up payment arrangements, or they would accept $2100.

So, it is done. I was really fearing that it would be over $3000 and that they would not work with me at all. I saved $1100, about 1/3.

The attorney agreed to send in a motion to vacate.

When I went to the office to drop off the check, the secretary told me to ignore any paperwork from the court because before I settled, they had filed for a debtors disclosure (not the right term, can't think of it now). So, they were not going to fool around! They just received the letter a few days ago!

Thanks for everyones help and encouragement here. I would not have had any idea how to handle this without all of you!!!

2. gib

gib Well-Known Member

Re: Settled Today

Terri, sorry it cost you $2100. :(
    Congratulations on getting them to agree to vacate =)

Gib

3. Jeff

Jeff Guest

Great news Terri! Happy this worked out for you.

Jeff

4. OtherTerri

OtherTerri Well-Known Member

Thanks Gib!

Thanks Jeff - If you had not told me about the motion to vacate it would stay on my husbands report for years and be a "new" debt. I really appreciate your help :)

5. Butch

Butch Well-Known Member

Terri,

All in all, I'd say ya did well.

You got the thing vacated and you settled for about 2 thirds. Your efforts to provide counterpressure to the situation is what saved the extra $1,100.

That's what this is all about. Sure we'd all like to settle for zero but sometimes it just doesn't happen that way.

Congrats and sleep well.

:)