Can I remove myself as AU?

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by greyfox, Nov 8, 2001.

1. greyfox

greyfox Well-Known Member

My score is going down because of too many open accounts, and on two of the accounts I am AU on my son's accounts. I asked him to remove me from the BOA card, but I don't know whether he has. Can I call and ask to be removed? Equifax won't remove the accounts that I disputed as not mine. They said I may be liable for the BOA, which is BS, since I didn't apply or sign anything.....but I don't use it anyway and would just as soon have my name off it.

Also, are AR inquiries soft or hard? I have 25 AR inquiries from Privista.

2. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

AR=ACCOUNT REVIEW (SOFT).

3. kustomkat

kustomkat Well-Known Member

you should be able to remove yourself...

some card agreements state that you can be held responsible for charges on your card that you make..

whats to many accounts..

if they are open and have no lates they should positively affect you score..

if you have the old
    "too many revolving accounts with balances"
    "balances to high as compared to high limit"

pay down some balances..

a person can have as many cards as one wants but 3-6 with balances not over 50% seems to be ideal from the credit reports ive looked at....

but you can 20 accounts if you want...

so who knows really..

kev

4. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

greyfox I don't see why not. You should be able to call them and tell them you want to be removed from the account as an AU. I mean banks have called me and asked if I was an "AU" on my husbands account so they could try and sell me something, if I can do that I don't see why I couldn't remove myself.

Also not sure how BofA is set up for online, but citi lets you remove an AU right online.

and as GEORGE said AR are soft:)

5. greyfox

greyfox Well-Known Member

I'm showing 10 open accounts (including the AUs) no lates, and less than 40% balance-to-limit ratio
    but I can't get the 10K Discover limit to be reported instead of the high balance, which would help the ratio.

So, I have 8 good accounts and if the AUs were removed my ratio would be better. One thing is that I have 2 cards at 50% because they are 0%APR until June.

6. Cadillac408

Cadillac408 Well-Known Member

I removed myself from my boyfriend's Gold AMEX charge. I just called the number on the back of my card and selected the option to cancel the card. I told them that I was an AU and wanted to remove myself. For some reason it didn't work the first time because a month later there were a couple of charges (gym membership) on it so I had to call again. They said for some reason it wasn't canceled the first time.

7. amaineman

amaineman Well-Known Member

I would leave the 10 positives in place, credit scoring is a mystery, often a suggestion to increase a score does not work.