Can people w/ working visa app

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Mary, Jul 10, 2000.

1. Mary

Mary Guest

I got a job here in the US because a US employer sponsored me. I've been here more than three months now.

I already have a SSS no. and have a US address. I tried applying a credit card but most of them refuse to give me one, even a secured one.

Are there any banks that offer a credit card to people like me? If so, can you please name some?

2. Thomas

Thomas Guest

RE: Can people w/ working visa

Yes, my wife recieved a credit card on an F-1 visa and that isnt as stable as what you have. So I would say Yes.

3. Michael

Michael Guest

Judy, I wonder if when they ask you if you are a U.S. resident/Citizen on the form you are saying no.

This may be your problem. Look at some of my past posting regarding geting credit with a ITIN which you have a SS#, and a U.S. address.

The only other thing is which banks did you apply with for a secured card. I would recomend Future Card, which will want the following:

1. Employment confirmation in the form of a letter, or pay stub.

2. Address confirmation, in the form of utility bill, bank statement, or on the employment letter,

3. SS# confirmation from, employer, or Bank.

Send that in to the fax # they provide you will have no problem but you must state your a U.S. Resident Which you are!

4. Kathie

Kathie Guest

Mary,
    Most credit applications ask whether you are a citizen of the US, not a resident. Be very careful about giving false information about your residency status, doing so could lead to very serious consequences with the INS.
    You might try where you do your banking. Banks who typically service a lot of foreign nationals like HSBC (formerly Marine Midland) tend to be more sophisticated in this area. Securing a card with one of these banks might be your best bet.

5. Michael

Michael Guest

RE: I BEG TO DIFFER

Most applications ask
    "Are you a U.S. Citizen/Resident"

Also the woman would not get a SS# unless she was!

Non Residents are given ITIN's

6. Kathie

Kathie Guest

RE: I BEG TO DIFFER -- me too.

Michael -- Regardless of how it is worded, and most do say "citizen", false statements about your legal residency status can get you deported. If you have a work visa your SS# differs from one that is issued "for banking only". The obvious difference is that if you are working you must file income taxes like everyone else, and there really is no distinction.

7. Michael

Michael Guest

Don't confuse you with the fact's your minds made up!

8. Sorin

Sorin Well-Known Member

Hello to all on this thread...

Here's the thing... for 15 months i was in
    this situation, i mean working with a H1
    visa. The facts are:

- you get a SSN, not an ITIN
    - You are considered resident for all tax
    and financial purposes (meaning you pay
    resident/citizen taxes.. ouch:)
    - In all applications for credit cards they
    ask if you are a "resident" (which you are)
    not a "permanent resident" (which you aren't)

So just go ahead and fill out the form as resident, no one will make you any problems

I have 4 cards now, first one was secured,
    the last one is a platinum...

9. Michael

Michael Guest

RE: THANK YOU 4 CONFIRMING.

THANK YOU FINALLY SOMEONE WHO KNOWS WHAT THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT!!!

Now Kathie do you finally understand???

10. Kathie

Kathie Guest

I understand completely

I guess my error is in coming from the banking industry and now the legal profession. Encouraging someone to make false statements about their legal residency status is wreckless and criminal in itself. My "personal" experience has been that many (evidently not all) credit applications (I just bought a car) say "citizen", and if you say no they ask for your status.

Being a jerk by belittling others for not seeing things exactly as you do is really immature and does little to further the purpose of this board.

11. Steven Z

Steven Z Guest

RE: The PROOF speaks louder th

Having learned to my misfortune to not take what (many) banking individuals say at face value I decided to do a little search.

I started with a convenient ad banner on the top of the page for Capital One Platinum Visa and here is what they said:

I hereby apply to Capital One Bank (Capital One) for a credit card account. Everything that I have stated in this Application is correct to the best of my knowledge. I understand that I must be 18 years or older as well as a U.S. citizen or permanent resident alien in order to apply.

Next, I clicked on an ad banner at the bottom of the page for Future Card and here is what it had to say:

Applicants must be 18 years of age or older and must be a U.S. resident.

Then, it was an ad banner for e.card Platinum Visa whose terms are:

This offer is only available to applicants
    who reside in the United States of America.

On to the First National Credit Card whose first requirement is;

* US Resident

Are we seeing a pattern?!

Finally, I checked on the much talked about Net 1st Card and its requirements were:

If you are a U.S. citizen or permanent resident 18 years or older residing in the U.S. with a valid checking account.

Thats 5 out of 5, with not ONE insisting, or implying in any manner or form that only CITIZENS need apply.

As Michael has previously posted and I have just demonstrated, all the applications I've seen ask "Are you a U.S. Citizen/Resident" would you prefer I put up another 5, 10, 50 FACTUAL examples

KATHIE, YOU ARE FULL OF IT!

12. Kathie

Kathie Guest

And your are extremely rude.

I doubt seriously anything would satsify you.

13. Kathie

Kathie Guest

You are extremely rude.

Correction...I thought I was responding to Michael. I should have known you could not resist the opportunity of butting into a conversation way past the point of relevance.
    The first example you give states the applicant must be a citizen. If you had read all of my posts you would have seen that I stated "some" not "all" require citizenship. It appears Steven that you are more interested in "gotcha" than meaningful exchange.

14. Michael

Michael Guest

RE: I understand completely

Excuse me I was not belittling you because you saw things differently.

The fact is that you accuse me of telling this guy to lie. I never did such a thing, I merely pointed out to him the reason he may have been denied, and the fact that if he has a SS# and visa he is a resident, even if he has a limited duration he is still a resident. Also you kept stating you had to be a citizen, which was clearly incorrect, all the applications I've seen on the net in the last few weeks clearly state "Resident"

As for the purpose of this board is to exchange ideas and learn from each other,
    please remember this. It's O.K. to question something, and all of us get things wrong sometimes, but check things out, before you accuse others of giving bad advice!

15. Steven Z

Steven Z Guest

RE: She understands nothing

"It's O.K. to question something, and all of us get things wrong sometimes, but check things out, before you accuse others of giving bad advice!"

The key thing to remember is if somebody such as myself or you gave an 'opinion' on credit matters people can do with it what they may, but if somebody such as Kristy Feathers, Credit Ranger or an individual that insists her words be treated like an expert

"coming from the banking industry and now the legal profession" they MUST be held accountable for their words

and if those words are

My "personal" experience has been that many (evidently not all) credit applications say "citizen", and if you say no they ask for your status."

When in actual fact a search, any search, determines that in no case that either you nor I nor anybody else that cares to mention has found this so INCLUDING my first example wherein it clearly states the individual must either be "a U.S. citizen or permanent RESIDENT (I capitalized it because obviously Kathie has trouble reading) alien" in order to apply.

Then not only is she FULL OF IT, but she is also may be LIABLE for a lawsuit, if her FALSE information is found to have led directly to an individual's facing damages or losses depending of course in which state both reside.

I think we both will be better off treating her words as just another laymen and value it as such.

16. Mike

Mike Well-Known Member

RE: The PROOF speaks louder th

There is a big difference bewteen 'Resident' and 'Permanent Resident'. Anyone in the US with a working visa such as an H1-B or TN-1 is considered by the INS to be a 'temporary resident'. These people cannot claim permanent residency, or the INS could come and take them away like little Elian.

Almost all banks I've seen require applicants for unsecured credit cards to be either 'citizens' or 'permanent residents' of the US. Bank of America, for example, will not issue an unsecured credit card to a 'temporary resident,' regardless of how long they have been working in the United States (I know Canadians who have been working in the US with TN-1 visas for over 12 years).