Can someone please give me a s

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Burned aga, Dec 6, 2000.

1. Burned aga

Burned aga Guest

Here is my delima. My wife and I were married about 11 years ago. During this time she applied for credit cards and lied about the information she put on the cards, i.e. dirrerent ssan. We paid the bills for a long time on time. I have since lost my job and found out how she obtained these cards. My question is can this be discharged under the bankruptsy law, either 7 or 13 legelly? I do not want her to get in trouble.

2. Kristi

Kristi Guest

RE: Can someone please give me

It could be risky. Any debts incurred under false or fraudulent pretenses is grounds for the debts to be excluded and due. In addition any creditor who discovers this could take action.

Burned again wrote:
    -------------------------------
    Here is my delima. My wife and I were married about 11 years ago. During this time she applied for credit cards and lied about the information she put on the cards, i.e. dirrerent ssan. We paid the bills for a long time on time. I have since lost my job and found out how she obtained these cards. My question is can this be discharged under the bankruptsy law, either 7 or 13 legelly? I do not want her to get in trouble.

3. Doris K.

Doris K. Well-Known Member

RE: Can someone please give me

Just another drop of info. I learned this when I worked in a credit bureau satellite office. Giving false information, namely false Social Security numbers, to obtain credit constitutes credit card abuse and fraud. This amounts to a federal offense, and I recall the Secret Service accessing our databases on quite a few occasions to investigate those who committed the same offense.

As far as I know, those people who were investigated might have worked on a larger scale; however, the fact remains that such offenses fall under the jurisdiction of the Secret Service. You might think twice about including such accounts in a bankruptsy case without thoroughly and honestly explaining everything to your attorney. Good luck!