Can Someone Please Tell Me???

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by MartysGirl, Apr 28, 2001.

1. MartysGirl

MartysGirl Well-Known Member

Can someone please tell me which secured and un-secured card is the best for restablishing credit and why?

Also. which secured and unsecured card is the best for establishing credit? and why?

I see so many..... which is the best....?????

I am asking b/c I need to establish more credit and my husband needs to re-establish his credit..!!

Thanks for your help...!!

2. roni

roni Well-Known Member

If you have a little time, I would pick First Consumers National Bank. I say that b/c they take about 2-3 months to show on your credit reports. But they report to all three. They have many products and once you have the FCNB card they usually allow you to get a Speigel Card. The speigel card is good b/c you usually start with $400 and if you are good, you jump to $1400 after 6 months. Now that is impressive. I got the increase and I never even used the card yet.

FCNB has a program that allows you get 1.5 x your deposit. I deposited $300 and my credit line was $450. I got an automatic $100 increase after 4 months. That too was impressive. You cannot go wrong with FCNB.

If you already have FCNB or want more choices, I would next recommend Capital one. Capital one has its bad points definitely. BUT, Capital one has very liberal secured card plans that you may be allowed to get a partially secured card much like FCNB. You may get a $200 card for a deposit of $49 or $99. I started with a $200 Capital one secured visa in 11/99. After 6 months I got a $200 increase and unsecured the card for $99 (half my deposit). I then got another card for $2000. I combined both cards, and at the same time got an offer for a gold upgrade for $39 with a $500 increase. My credit line is now $2900 unsecured gold. As you can see they offer alot of choices.

I also had FNBM (First National Bank of Marin). I only recommend them to someone who cannot get anything else. They have a monthly fee of $6 which is a ripoff. But what can I say. They were my very first credit card after I graduated.

I hope this helps. I can only speak from my own experiences and rebuilding.

roni

3. MartysGirl

MartysGirl Well-Known Member

Thanks you very much Roni...!!!

FCNB it is...!!!! I have seen a lot of your Posts and respect what you think...!!!!!!!!

MartysGirl

4. Mike2

Mike2 Well-Known Member

Roni...Were you using the Cap1 card a lot? I max mine and pay it down two or three times a month, using it almost like a debit card. I wouldn't, except I have the low $200 credit limit. I've had it for 2 months now and am hoping for a sizable increase in the 6th month.