Can you believe it?

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by fingrrrl, Jun 15, 2001.

1. fingrrrl

fingrrrl Well-Known Member

I wrote a few days ago asking about my student loan situation. I was upset because GLHEC (Great Lakes Higher Education Corporation) posted my loan information twice on all of my credit reports and naturally, it looks as if my balance to credit limit ratio is twice what it should be. At the advice of someone on this board, I wrote GLHEC directly. I just got a response via e-mail and was told that they can't do anything about it; that I have to write to the credit reporting agencies and get it removed. CAN YOU BELIEVE IT!?!?!?! They're the ones who put it on my report twice, yet they won't take it off. I have to waste my time and energy (and postage) and write all three bureaus. THIS IS RIDICULOUS! Why is it always like this? Someone f*cks you over and you have to literally hand over your first child to get it resolved, but if you f*ck them over, they'll make your life miserable. Sorry about the language; I'm just venting.

2. NanaC

NanaC Well-Known Member

I had a similar situation with Sallie Mae (who has now screwed up in another unrelated way) ..however, I was successful in removing the duplication by calling and getting a supervisor....I had to give them a copy of the report proving the duplication.
    May I suggest you try that?? Don't just give up. Good Luck!

3. Erica

Erica Well-Known Member

Don't worry about it. Two years ago, I only had 2 Student Loans, and it looked like I had 8. I mean, instead of owing $2000, I owed 8 times that, or $16,000. I wrote a letter to the CRA, not even telling them what the problem was, and it got removed. You could also call and tell them that they are reporting one loan so many times, and they will delete it over the phone. I had them do this with Discover and MCM. I explained to the rep that MCM was reporting the same thing as Discover and it should be removed. She did it over the phone.

Good Luck! :)

4. keltexx

keltexx Well-Known Member

I have I think three student loan listings. One for my first year, another for my second, and a third for the total. They list a Bank that, to my knowledge, has no involvement (this whole guarantor / lendor/administrator thing is confusing....I am just getting ready to enter repayment).

Does anyone know if student loan consolidation address this-multiple listing issue?

5. marci

marci Well-Known Member

The only servicer I know who lists all consolidated loans as one is the Dept. of Education (Direct Loans). Even Sallie Mae, who did my first consolidation, listed each disbursement separately.

I don't know that the Dept. of Ed's way is better or worse. Sometimes it's nice to have a record of each individual disbursement, but I suppose you can get that through the NSLDS as well. I personally like the DOE's listing b/c it makes my reports look far less cluttered.

I've heard nearly universally that Sallie Mae/USA Group screwed up everybody's credit reports via double entries with their merger.

6. keltexx

keltexx Well-Known Member

Thanks Marci

I actually sent in the paperwork for a direct consolidation loan. They sent the request for payoff amount to a guarantor in Michigan (I am in TX) by mistake. I called them a week ago to see why it was taking so long (sent application back in April).

Meanwhile, my guarantor has sent my loans on to the "Administrator", so the address on my application for consolidation no longer applies-although they assure me that they will forward the info to the guarantor.

I was hoping that the unorganized nature of student loans was over. Apparently not.

7. nursie

nursie Well-Known Member

Re: Thanks Marci

I did my student loans through BofA. They only show one loan with the total balance on it. Guess I got lucky.