Cancelling cards

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by steve, Aug 14, 2003.

1. steve

steve Well-Known Member

Hi all, I have these AMEX cards:

AMEX Platinum
    AMEX Blue
    AMEX Hilton
    AMEX Starwood

Should I cancel the Blue card since I already get free Membership Rewards from the Platinum charge??

If I get rid of the Blue, will my Member Since date change on my other cards (Blue was first AMEX card - 1999, got the others last year).

Thanks.

2. steve

steve Well-Known Member

<bump>

3. lakpr

lakpr Well-Known Member

You could ask AMEX to consolidate your credit limits into fewer cards ... don't just cancel.

[ Sorry, are all these AMEX cards are charge cards? Thus no credit limit? If so, ignore my reply ]

4. miles

miles Well-Known Member

You should not lose your "Member Since" date. The date is based on when you joined Amex. Even if you cancel the blue card, the date will not change.

5. steve

steve Well-Known Member

The Platinum card is a charge card, the others (Blue, Hilton, Starwood) are credit cards. I think I'll keep the Blue if I want to revolve since the rate is better than the other cards. Looks really cool too.

6. RichGuy

RichGuy Well-Known Member

I think the APR and account history are good reasons to keep the Blue card.

Maybe four AmEx cards are too many, but it's hard to identify any card you'd be better off without. Maybe Hilton?

As a general principle, I think anyone who can get four AmEx cards can probably afford scorewise to keep all four.

7. willgator

willgator Well-Known Member

steve I have quite a few myself, instead of killing hilton, call more and have the rep move the cl to starwood card which is a hell of a lot better card and keep the rest you snhould be able to get blue to 6.99 fixed which is worth keeping ...... good luck