cancelling credit cards

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Curt, Feb 26, 2001.

1. Curt

Curt Guest

Is there a law or standard protocol to follow when cancelling credit cards?

2. sam

sam Well-Known Member

When i cancel, i just call them up, and then i call them back every day until they guarantee its cancelled. With every transaction you do , there is a tracking or transaction number, including closure of your account.

The uber-sub primes are VERY hard to close. they will stall, tack on fees, etc.

Decent subprime and prime cards, you call, its cancelled, end of story.

3. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

When I cancel a card I normally just call, I also request that they report the account as being closed by consumers request. I also request a letter from them stating I closed the account this way I have written proof in case they report it as not being closed by me. Sorry but I don't trust them or the agencies .

Mom

4. LKH

LKH Well-Known Member

Come on mom - you trust them or the agencies?lol
    by the way, what do you think of the new format here?

5. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

I like to new format, I like being able to read every reply in one view. And yes I don't trust anybody anymore, my reports are still not up to date and I have been doing this for a year LOL

Mom

6. lbrown59

lbrown59 Well-Known Member

I don't blame you

7. brad

brad Well-Known Member

Say it ain't so !!!

How can you not trust the cc companies or CRAs? I trust them--to screw up whatever they can, that is. Between ignorance or just not caring, it's amazing when something gets done correctly.

Companies love to tout customer service, but the bottom line is that customer service isn't important to the bottom line, except in the long run, and what company cares about that anymore? Seriously, you can't bill someone for "Customer Service." CS is expensive and does not contribute to the quarterly profit statement, so people in those departments generally are poorly paid and trained. And you can bet they don't have the same toys as the marketing deptartment. They are often evaluated not on how well they provide service, but how many calls they are able to take.

So when you find a customer service rep who is helpful, get his or her name and ext (if they are even allowed to give that) and send valentines and christmas cards, name your children after them, say novenas (or whatever.)

Meanwhile, Mom's got the right idea. Get paper on everything and follow-up. It seems like a pain, but is a good habit to get into.

Brad

P.S. Do you think I should get therapy to get this anti-corporate bug out of my butt?