Cap 1 Credit Inc. Approved aft

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by MikeG, Oct 9, 2000.

1. MikeG

MikeG Well-Known Member

Believe it or not I had a small victory with Capital One today with credit increases to my Gold and Classic Card. Thanks to the wonderful advice of Saar and Kirk. Kirk informed the board of his success in getting an immediate credit increase with Capital One of $700. Well I wasnt that lucky, but ever little bit helps. He told the representative that he needed to be able to reserve hotels and rental cards.

So I called with the same story and was declined yesterday. I was told some crap about needing to be with the company for 3 months and being notified via mail. I have had the Gold Card for 2 1/2 months and the classic for 6 months. After reading Saar's advice today to go directly to retention I called back today. The representative again declined me for an increase on both cards and stated I have to be with the company for a year.

So I asked to close the accounts. The gentlemen asked me what was wrong. I explained I was told different stories about credit line increases. So he said "Let's See What I Can Do!!" So he did me a huge favor of extending my credit limit on my Gold card from $200 to $300 (because of my short time period with Capital One with that card. He then raised my Classic Card Limit to $500. That's right my Classic Card limit is higher than my Gold Card. I figure I'll call about that next month.

So, as Saar stated, go to the retention department with Capital One if you want a credit increase immediately. Sorry for the length of this message but I thought the background would help any others who didnt read the past thread on Cap. 1 Increase by Kirk.

Good Luck,

Mike G.

2. Cadillac408

Cadillac408 Well-Known Member

RE: Cap 1 Credit Inc. Approved

Congrats Mike G.!!

That is the reason why I love this board. Valuable information is being shared here. I know the increase isn't much but to people who are trying to rebuild, every little bit helps!!!!

Now I just need to figure out how to squeeze a $200 increase out of Citibank so that I can upgrade to Platinum.

3. Bart

Bart Guest

I just called them and the rep said that I wouldnt qualify for an increase for a year and that it would be done by mail and couldnt be initiated by me. I am going to call back to a different person tomorrow. He did offer to sell me my credit reports. What an idiot.

4. Elizabeth

Elizabeth Guest

Will this work with Household

I wonder if I should try this strategy with Household bank. I have had the card for 6 months and the rep told me they could increase my limit from $300 to $400 but I had to pay a $25 fee. I spoke with a supervisor who was NO help. I wonder if I should speak directly with Retention?

Anyone have any experience with Household?

5. Jim

Jim Well-Known Member

RE: Citibank platinum

How much credit does this typically come with? My Capital One gold card has a $3,000 limit for example.

6. Cadillac408

Cadillac408 Well-Known Member

I was told that the minimum credit limit for Platinum is $1k. What I'm trying to do is get my limit increased so I can do a product transfer from classic to Platinum. The rep told me that this was simple to do but I have to meet the minimum limit requirement of $1k. Once I get that limit increase, then I guess it's a press of a couple of buttons and presto! My Platinum card w/ my picture on it will be in the mail!!!!

But like my grandmommy told me:

"Don't believe everything you hear and only believe half of what you see!"

7. Saar

Saar Banned

Congratulations!

Make no mistake: What you got them to do for you is no less than a significant progress.

Today, inspired by Jo, I succeeded in doing the same with Amex, increasing one of my credit lines with them from $1,000 to $3,500. They won't regret increasing it - I'm a very loyal customer of those who give excellent service.

One more thing to know about Capital One: If you have an unsecured card with them for 6 months or more whose limit is still below $500, Retention will increase it to that amount.

However, I always recommend trying a supervisor first: If you're gonna say "I cancel" - you might as well mean it. Now if you're a credit builder with limited options, you'd better do that only as a last resort.

Saar

8. the other

the other Well-Known Member

It used to be 5k at citibank for a platinum, I guess they must have changed that.

We have capital one giving out golds at 200, and citibanks with platinums at 1k. Amazing!

9. Saar

Saar Banned

MP$40 wrote:
    "But like my grandmommy told me:
    'Don't believe everything you hear and only believe half of what you see!'"

Now, if only she told you which half...

Saar

10. MikeG

MikeG Well-Known Member

Both representatives I talked gave me different answers about increases and yes the lady today said that I did qualify for their privacy program. Anyway, be sure you ask about how to close the account after they tell you that you dont meet the requirements for increase. That is how I received mine today on the advice of Saar.

Mike G.

Bart wrote:
    -------------------------------
    I just called them and the rep said that I wouldnt qualify for an increase for a year and that it would be done by mail and couldnt be initiated by me. I am going to call back to a different person tomorrow. He did offer to sell me my credit reports. What an idiot.

11. MikeG

MikeG Well-Known Member

Ask about closing options

Thanks again for the advice Saar. I never said I was going to cancel to the woman I spoke with today. I asked her about what my options were in terms of closing the account. She immediately transferred me to what I assume was retention. I dont know if that is a play upon words, but I think it is different because I was not threatening or rude to her at any time. I told the retention person that I did not feel comfortable being told different information from thier representatives.

You're right, dont threaten unless you really mean it.

Mike G.

12. RichGuy

RichGuy Guest

There's an interesting point here. I assume you're paying Capital One an annual fee, so you deserve excellent service, limit increases, the whole works.

I, on the other hand, could expect little sympathy for my desire to eliminate the annual fee. Since I'm on a low budget, I'll jusy pay off my $378 balance, cancel the card, and save myself $59 per year, plus 21% interest on the balance.

13. Saar

Saar Banned

Actually, I no longer hold any of their cards.

RichGuy, you can apply for the Capital One K-mart card, which requires no annual fee.

Saar

14. RichGuy

RichGuy Guest

RE: K-mart Master Card

Thank you. That's the kind of card I need right now.